Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Default Choosing builders

Hi All,
    Now less than one week to baby and we are still deciding on builders for our bathroom/kitchen extension -renovation.(originally planned to have the job finished by now!)

Anyway, I'm after your comments on choice of builder:

We have two quotes for a 2-3 month job in Melbourne which involves extension and rebuild of kitchen and bathroom plus internal demolition-wall rebuild- supporting beams etc for around $80k. Other quotes were out of the ballpark.

The first is from a builder I feel comfortable with - nice guy, long term friend of a friend, does what he says-proactive (so far), easy to communicate with, v experienced, has committed to timeline but priced about 5% higher than the second guy.

Second guy, recommended through building surveyor, younger newer as solo builder, very loose on the detail (ie- admitted he'd lost my spec sheet when I asked him about inclusions so had assumed all in), hard to pin down on when he'll finish, 5-7% cheaper..fine with follow up but feels hard to clearly communicate with...

I would intuitively much prefer to go with the first, would be happy to pay a bit more but this seems more than a bit more....we've spoken with him and he has already made some reductions to price by standardising/hubby doing some demo.

What do you think, any pearls of wisdom-experience that might sway the decision - bear in mind i'm keen to have it complete ASAP.

Thanks.

Assuming his references check out, I'd go with the first bloke.

Given he's more experienced his cost estimates may be a bit more realistic.

Also, you have to be comfortable working with whoever you choose.

It's not always best to go with the cheapest quote imo.

Go with the first guy.

The second guy lost your sheet etc before he even got the nod.... dont fancy him being reliable and on the ball once he has you locked in.
    I want to die peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming in terror like the passengers in his car.

thanks guys, that confirms my thinking

Hate to admit this, but apart from the initial reference (ie. our friend for one builder and the surveyor for the other), I haven't seen the work of either, or talked with any of their clients.....I have had this background feeling that it might lead to future problems..

For your own peace of mind I would ask to see at least 2 of the first blokes jobs and ask the clients if they are happy and also check out his licence status.
    Jack

South Oz, the big smokey bit in the middle

One thing to remember - by the time you've finished the job, you'll hate your builder. Your friendship might be strong enough to withstand that, but having suffered two house extensions, I agree with the first builder who warned me that this would happen

Richard

Quote Originally Posted by Daddles View Post
    One thing to remember - by the time you've finished the job, you'll hate your builder.
    This is pretty true.

Probably because you and your builder have different objectives.