Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Smile Roofing info please

Hi all I would appreciate some advice about whether I can butt a galbe roof onto the side wall/roof of my house to 'attach/build in' another room on. The house external wall is western red cedar and the roof is colourbond steel. The ceiling is cathedral which means (if I have the term correct) there is no attic and not much room between the ceiling and steel roofing. There are beams under the roof holding up western red cedar ceiling planks and the beams are held up by 100x100 studs at each end of the house/room (so to speak). Is there any way I can build a new gable or any type of roof line to enable me to extend at right angles to the run of the beams? I hope the above makes sense. I can take photos if anyone prefers to view prior to commenting.Cheers & ta Donno

Donno

Pictures would help.

Default Not so easy!

Hi Dunno, undertaking a task such as cutting in an opening is usually childs play for some-one willing to have a go. Other things you need to consider prior to cutting in are are there any counter or counter/propping beams, by your photo, it doesn't look like it but if there is (in the 50's/60's many odd things went on) your cheap reno will hurt. Possibly pay a local chippie to get some advice!

by your photo, it doesn't look like it
    What photos? I can't see them, is there somthing wrong with my browser?

No that post is from somewhere else ... I saw that the other day and the title is different. I'm pretty sure ex-chippie isn't going to tell him that its childs play to cut into the roof line of his existing cathedral ceiling!

Without a picture or photo it's hard to make out exactly what you mean, but i think you mean either a scotch valley, of a dormer style window affair, depening on which level and how far out you wish to come. More info please.
    TM