Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Thread: Hi all

Default Hi all

I have been lurking around the forums for a few months now and haven't posted yet.
    I'm pretty new to woodworking and also new to Melbourne (moved here about 3 months ago from Shoal Bay NSW)
    I'm currently making a dining table and will post some pics soon.
    I have picked up some good tips since being here so just wanted to say thanks!

crowie is offline Life's Good, Enjoy each new day & try to encourage

G'Day & welcome to a top forum Rob,
    You'll find a heap of helpful & knowledgeable blokes & ladies of the forum and for the most, very willing to assist.
    Make sure you do show off your handiwork as everyone loves a photo, especially WIP photos with build notes.
    Enjoy your woodwork.
    Enjoy the forum.
    I hope you settle into the new digs quickly.
    Cheers, crowie

Hi Rob & welcome to the forum

Welcome to the forum.

If you get stuck on an aspect of the dinning table just post a question. We do enjoy work in progress(WIP) threads, (no pressure there ). Have fun with the hobby and the forum.

welcome to the forum

thanks all, my table is getting there but i have been really busy lately and haven't got much done on it
    i want the table top to be nice and smooth and perfectly flat, i have sanded it and while its smooth, when run my hand across it i can feel troughs and peaks across it.
    I was thinking that i might need a plane to get it smooth and even? is this the best way?
    thanks in advance

Quote Originally Posted by Rob85 View Post
    ..i want the table top to be nice and smooth and perfectly flat, i have sanded it and while its smooth, when run my hand across it i can feel troughs and peaks across it.
    I was thinking that i might need a plane to get it smooth and even? is this the best way?
    I straight answer to your questions is Yes. But there is a little more then just that.

How did you sand the table, by hand or belt sander? What grit did you go up to when sanding? Were the peaks there before you sanded? A photo or photos might help.

I might suggest that you post this question with as much information as you can in the General sub section of the forum. WOODWORK - GENERAL

It will get a discussion going and far more options as to what you can do.