Red face Gap between skirting board and floorboards

I'm in the process of nailing my maple skirting boards to wall and discovered gaps :mad: between 5-9mm thick between bottom of skirting and timber cypress flooring.
    The house is old approx 30yrs and a quick check with spirit level showed me the floor was out and the skirting timber is straight.
    In some parts I could close the small gaps by getting under house and recorrecting using shims.
    The real problem is the floor joists have bowee and lifted floor in places.

I thought the easiest way of covering the gap would be to use a bit of quad moulding and nail to skirting

Question is should I nail this to the skirting side or cypress floor :confused:
    Will the 15mm quad mouilding split if nailed or should I use " liquid nails"

The "proper" way of dealing with this is to scribe the bottom of the skirting to the floor. The not so "proper" way is to use acrylic gapfiller.

Mick
    "If you need a machine today and don't buy it,

tomorrow you will have paid for it and not have it."

- Henry Ford 1938

Problem is Mick I have already nailed skirting to wall with nail gun and will now have to usew quad to fill gap.
    Great idea though

And if you were not to do it the proper way, it may be worth using a paintable gapfiller or one that was stained to the right colour.

PS If you go with the quad option (I have done so in the past) nail it to the floor. If you have any more movement it will be up and down which means the quad will move with the floor. If it is fixed to the skirting, and there is movement, then you will reveal gaps again.

Simon
    They laughed when I said I was going to be a comedian. They're not laughing now.
    Bob Monkhouse

Do you need to fill the gap? I came across the same prob here, the floor joists needing packing to re-level them out but the crawlspace under the house precludes my frame from getting under the house. I did try to convince my 50kg swmbo that 'rat-scaring' under the house was a noble art and while she did that she could just throw in a couple of shims but to no avail. As such I agonised over lifting floorboards and relevelling the joists, scribing the skirting board, using gapfiller, trying to run some quad over the gap and so on, and the month or so I spent dwelling on the problem gave me enough time to get used it as it is!! Since there's no air coming in the gap I've decided I have bigger fish to fry in the house.
    There was a young boy called Wyatt
    Who was awfully quiet
    And then one day
    He faded away
    Because he overused White

Floorsanding in Canberra and Albury.....

you could place a piece of 3-4mm ply over the skirts and scribe it to fit the floor - once painted it is either invisible or forms another shadow line that looks like it is part of the skirt. To complete the illusion, simply wipe a quality paintable sealer along the upper edge to fill the ply and join it to the skirts

Steve
    Steve
    Kilmore (Melbourne-ish)
    Australia

....catchy phrase here