Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Default HNT Gordon......Aussie HandPlane Legend

Gidday

Being the prowd owner of 2 Exotic Gordon Planes (Jack & Palm Smoother) I just got to Give HNT Gordon a Great Wrap!!! I love using these things & their great for Cranky Grain.

I made the mistake of sending a Blade with my smoother some time ago for a repair job of course loosing it in the mail (What ever you do don't send blades in normal packs without covering the blade!!!!!!!)............Yeah I know!!!

Terry replaced the blade free of charge!!!! I've also found him a top bloke to deal with happy to provide customers with a 'special plane' upon request. BEST OF ALL these things are Aussie Made born and bread!!!! What more could ya Ask for!!!

.................Well done HNT Gordon!!! heres one customer you'll have for life!!!!

REgards Lou
    Just Do The Best You Can With What You HAve At The Time

A little Palm smoother is on my christmas list for sure. You say you got the exotic one's, which timber specie's?
    I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones.
    Albert Einstein

Default Unique!!!

Gidday

Heres my present Family there planning on having more kiddies soon.................Next on the List a HNT Smoother in the same style!!!

Left Palm Smoother in Ebony & Sapwood
    Right Jack in Waddy Wood & Sapwood

Middle What you get when you cross the 2

Regards lou

South Oz, the big smokey bit in the middle

Are we allowed to pick on him for having them sitting with the BLADES DOWN?

Richard

No need- he's the one who will have to resharpen them!!!!!! That's punishment enough!

(or not - I spent 90 minutes yesterday sharpening one of the blades on my waterstones- very meditative....)

If you look in the woodworking pics section you will see my first 2 aquisitions.

BTW, the smoother is great. What's the jack plane like? What is the advantage of the jack plane over say the trying plane?
    "Clear, Ease Springs"
    www.Stu's Shed.com

Gidday

I base my buying strategy on All Rounders ................ I dont Plan on buying all Plane Types but rather A 'solid kit' that will be able to do most things well in most situations.

For me specific plane types come into their own when used for the purpose they are designed for. I've tried to ask 'plane owners' which one they use the most & what their 'favourates' are. Also I read on the subject as much as possible.

What I discovered was that it seems most people in real world situations reach for a Jack Plane a Block Plane or around a No 4 smoother. I've also spoken to a few old timers that reckon thats really all ya need particularly if you master the Art of using these tools effectively.

In addition Its also difficult not to acknowledge the handiness of low angle configerations with adjustable mouths particularly when dealing with end grain etc As such my buying strategy stands at:

1. HNT Gordon Palm Smoother
    2. HNT Gordon Block Plane
    3. LN LA Adjustable Mouth Block Plane
    4. LN No 4 Smoother
    5. HNT Jack
    6. LN LA Jack

I reckon thats just about all I need ..................... & so does my wallet but time will tell I guess

REgards Lou