Default Was it worth it?

American girl in the snowboarding had the gold in her hand. Instead, she decided to show off on the last jump and grab her board. She stuffed it up, came a cropper and got to watch the Swedish girl (who was 3-5 secs behind her) skim past for the gold.

Tragic.

So, was it worth it?

I think it has ruined her life.

Absolutely

Quote Originally Posted by Groggy
    American girl in the snowboarding had the gold in her hand. Instead, she decided to show off on the last jump and grab her board. She stuffed it up, came a cropper and got to watch the Swedish girl (who was 3-5 secs behind her) skim past for the gold.

Tragic.

So, was it worth it?

I think it has ruined her life.
    Doubt it. She was the fastest one there on the day, but she made a mistake. It would have been awsome if she had pulled off the jump and won!

There is more to being an active sports competitor than the Olympics, she probably has a room full of consultants and sports psychologists to help her get over it.

Quote Originally Posted by woodbe
    Doubt it. She was the fastest one there on the day, but she made a mistake. It would have been awsome if she had pulled off the jump and won!

There is more to being an active sports competitor than the Olympics, she probably has a room full of consultants and sports psychologists to help her get over it.
    She is going to need that help I think. She made an absolute fool of herself in front of the world - whatever happened to humility.

Oh, and she wasn't the fastest one there on the day - the gold medal winner was.

Hi

Yes but who will be remembered. Sport is as much about sponsorship dollars as anything else.

The talk-shows will love this, a good marketing firm will spin this to her advantage.

Gold would be good, millions better maybe.

Least she is not as stupid as the Canadian Jeff Bean. He forgot to clip his skis on in the aerial freestyle practice. :eek:
    Have a nice day - Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by Groggy
    Oh, and she wasn't the fastest one there on the day - the gold medal winner was.
    The fastest boarder there did not win the race because she made a mistake. She was a good second in front when she tried her stunt. She seriously outclassed the other contestants in the race and anyone who watched the race would know that.

The winner just did a Bradbury, and good on her, but she was not the fastest.

What about if her stunt had come off!
    Jack the Lad.

Quote Originally Posted by woodbe
    She seriously outclassed the other contestants in the race and anyone who watched the race would know that.
    Except for the falling over bit!

Pride cometh before a fall.

P

There's been a lot about this in the press. Basically boils down to if your over 40 then she should't have showed off, maybe that will teach her a lesson, snowboarding is not a real sport blah, blah, blah and if your under 40 then it's go grlfriend!!

I think the snowboarding fraternity thinks it is par for the course, and it is part of the underlying ethic of snowboarding (and the other extreme sports that get lumped with snowbording) - you know - it's all about the ride man!! Personally I think good on her - so what if she stuffed it, at least she was having fun.
    There was a young boy called Wyatt
    Who was awfully quiet
    And then one day
    He faded away
    Because he overused White

Floorsanding in Canberra and Albury.....

HaHa. Well I'm over 40, and I think 'Go girl' !

Seriously, I watched it live. She was well in front, and she made the jump on about the last corner before the finish. If she was much further in front she would have won anyway.

Doing tricks on a downhill race displays attitude, which is at the essence of snowboarding. There should be more of it.

Drop Bear Capital of Gippsland (Lang Lang) Vic Australia

I did a triple somersault on XC ski's and never got a mention, wheres my sponsors???????
    (I might add that none of them were planned and my prize was a dislocated shoulder at the end of the unplanned stunt )
    Stupidity kills. Absolute stupidity kills absolutely.

Funny thing is I am under 40 (25) and I thought that it was absolutely ridiculous. It would be like a bike rider putting up their hands to cheer and crashing just seconds before the finish...

She may be remembered, but I reckon that it will be as the girl that threw away the gold medal. I would guess that she wouldn't be too popular back in the States right now...

Cam