Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Chopping boards

Default Chopping boards

Hi there,
    I'm making a couple of chopping boards from jarrah and would like to know what sort of oil to use on them? or is there something else I can use? Also what sort of glue is recommened? I have titedond III which says its waterproof.. is that okay?

THanks for any feedback.

I always use 1 coat of Organoil hard burnishing oil but some forum members would prefer veg oil or no oil at all. I don’t think it makes much difference though.

Titebond II and III are both OK. I use Titebond II all the time.
    Visit my website at www.myFineWoodWork.com

Titebond III is fine and use Mineral or Parrafin oil to finish it, don't use any of the veg or olive oils as they eventually go rancid
    Cheers

DJ

ADMIN

thanks guys

Quote Originally Posted by djstimber View Post
    Titebond III is fine and use Mineral or Parrafin oil to finish it, don't use any of the veg or olive oils as they eventually go rancid
    DJ
    I still recon that this is an old wives tale. What happens when you chop up that greasy chop or fatty leg of lamb?

The fat must get absorbed into the timber. Has anyone EVER had a chopping board go rancid?

I only ever give mine a rinse under the tap ( with a light rub) and then dry. Think of all the oils and fat your chopping board gets exposed too.

I never oil my boards, can't see the point.

As far as I'm know parrafin is a byproduct of the petroleum industry. Do you really want that on your board?

Yeah it could be an old wives tale, but better to be safe than sorry.

I have actually smelt an old board that hadn't been used for along time and it was a bit on the nose but that could have been any number of things
    Cheers

DJ

ADMIN

macka,

these are jarrah finished with paraffin oil. Still looking good after 6 months, but hasn't seen much chopping

Tex

Can any one tell me where I can purchase paraffin oil from? Is there a website? I will be at carbatec on the weekend does anyone know if they have it? thanks

I have seen it on the shelves at Bunnings where the turps, kero and thinners is kept
    Cheers

DJ

ADMIN

Got mine at Woolworths or Coles or Franklins (can't remember). On the aisle with the condoms and massage oil, next to the tea tree oil and lavender oil. Cost about $2 for about 100ml.

It was kind of embarrassing. I don't think they believed me when I said it was for finishing a cutting board.

Tex

cheers Tex

I refinish my everyday-use chopping board with vege oil every few months. No issues so far, although it doesn't help when SWMBO puts it in the dishwasher.

Use 'White Oil' or 'Mineral Oil' - You should be able to get bottles of 'White Oil' from the chemist/pharmacist as it is used in lotions & potions. People don't swell up and die when they get some trace of it in their food.

Avoid all nut & seed oils, like peanut, canola, olive etc as some people can have an allergic reaction to even the tiniest trace - Peanut oil is most likely to cause problems, followed by walnut oil (which is sometimes recommended as a finish oil for wood thats being used for food) and then other natural oils. The reaction can vary from 'swell up and die' thru' various stomach upsets, headaches, blisters & pins-and-needles sensations.

I've never had woodware that I've oiled go rancid or otherwise 'off', but I've seen some disasters in charity Op shops - I have no idea what they used, but there is a vile gooey mess on the timber, which is often soft or disintergrating. Sometimes it smells a bit like linseed oil, but I've just avoided the goods altogether.

I agree with wongo , always use Organoil hard burnishing oil, pour some on the board & with a cloth over the bottom of your sander polish the whole surface , the heat from friction helps the oil into the timber, the other good thing is that you get a great aroma from the board, doesn't last too long but is a great selling point when their new,
    Ashore

The trouble with life is there's no background music.

30% west system epoxy 70% thinners - perfect.