Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Default Damage to Building work (frame stage)

We are finally rebuilding after knocking down our post-war home. I am inspecting the building as much as I can, armed with what I know.

I have some questions in regard to some damaged framing, and damaged ply sub-flooring. So currently at the frame stage - and it feels like its taking forever, and have noticed:

1. There is a large section of a "bottom plate" (if thats what it is called) framing timber that appears to be gouged out exposing untreated timber

2. On advice we chose to install ply subflooring on the top level - instead of the chipboard. in one section it has been damaged (see pic), perhaps by a temporary brace or something

I have asked the builder if these things should be repaired / replaced (no reply yet).

What do you think? Just wondering if anyone has a comment or suggestion, or tell me if I am over reacting....

The bit of frame looks like it's in an opening. Is it going to be cut out anyway? I wouldn't worry about it in any case. Not structural and the treatment isn't going to save your house from termites if they get in anyway.

Don't think I'd be too concerned about the ply either. Your floor coverings will cover it up. You might need to hit it with the belt sander, depending on what your covering is.
    "I don't practice what I preach because I'm not the kind of person I'm preaching to."

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by TallStreak
    in one section it has been damaged (see pic), perhaps by a temporary brace or something
    Looks fractured to me,
    depends on what the other side looks like.
    IF Other side OK;
    I'd sand it, if it were I.
    If other side Also fractured,
    I'd want to at least see extra support; or replace.
    Navvi

silentC,

That makes sense as there is a 180x210 window going in that spot. I wasn't sure if they cut out that section or not.

Ivan in Oz,

I'll check the underside and post if needed.

Thanks for the replies.... Im not so concerned about it now I just hate paying for something that is damaged on or after installation.

If those are the window sizes and they are correct then its full height window and that part of the bottom plate will be cut out.

that part of the bottom plate will be cut out
    Not necessarily. If there are sliding doors as well and you want the tops of the arcs to all be at the same height, you generally need to pack under the windows and depending on the opening sizes, sometimes it works if you sit the windows on the bottom plate. It also gives you somewhere to fix the bottom arc if you want one. For example on our place, the bottom plate was cut out for all the doors but not for the 2100 high windows.

Point is, the damage is not significant and not really worth the bother to replace it. If it's staying, it's really not doing more than acting as a packer under the window.
    "I don't practice what I preach because I'm not the kind of person I'm preaching to."