Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Internet Explorer 7 Beta available

IE 7.0 Beta is now available for download if you want to try it out. It has finally got tabbed browsing.

South Oz, the big smokey bit in the middle

Downloaded and installed. Yes, it IS beta, but I had no problems with IE6 beta so I thought I'd give it a go. Installing is typical micro$oft dammit, but apart from that, initial reactions are very nice. Strangely, the screen is a LOOOOOOTTTTTT clearer, particularly this text I'm typing right now. The tabbing seems better than Firefox's (but I'm a very casual user of Firefox so I could be wrong there). And, of course, being micro$oft, they've changed things around at the top so you have do eveything differently ... for no discernable benefit. Perhaps I'm just getting old and grumpy.

Cheers
    Richard
    how long before the howls of indignation start rising as users start to find what doesn't work

IE7beta tabbed browsing is quicker than Firefox because as soon as you bring up IE7 it opens all the tabs you have and you just click from one to another. Firefox does not open any tabs until you click on them.
    So with IE7 people with a limit on download are getting pages downloaded whether they want them or not. I think this may have been done to make IE7 appear to be quicker.

For those that howl with indignation remember the magic word......beta.

Quote Originally Posted by Termite
    For those that howl with indignation remember the magic word......beta.
    That's right, micro$oft have plenty of time to stuff it up before the production version

Richard

Quote Originally Posted by Daddles
    That's right, micro$oft have plenty of time to stuff it up before the production version

Richard
    Wonder how many patches will be needed for the production version.
    More to the point, based on their track record how many SP's do you reckon Vista will have when it finally comes out.

i downloaded a hacked version of ie7 beta about 6 months ago, i thought it was great, but then i found firefox, i find firefox is a lot better.

Well, the favourites part of IE7 is &&&&. And if you've got a browser that uses tabs, why can't you set it to open all new windows in a bloody tab? Firefox suffers from that as well.

Programmers. Some of the buggers should be forced to use the products they write

Richard

Quote Originally Posted by Daddles
    Well, the favourites part of IE7 is &&&&. And if you've got a browser that uses tabs, why can't you set it to open all new windows in a bloody tab? Firefox suffers from that as well.

Programmers. Some of the buggers should be forced to use the products they write

Richard
    Strange. My Firefox opens new windows as tabs... Dunno how I got it to do that though...

woodbe

course not they prob'ly use apples
    Regards, Bob Thomas

www.wombatsawmill.com

Quote Originally Posted by woodbe
    Strange. My Firefox opens new windows as tabs... Dunno how I got it to do that though...

woodbe
    I dunno how you got that either mate, but it wouldn't be the first time I've missed some deep and devious way of managing settings ... not even obvious ways unfortunately

You can open in a new tab by holding the ctrl or the shift-ctrl keys, depending on the program, but why should I have to hold another key? But heck, the last time I found a program that worked the way I thought it should, I was mistaken

Richard

i just right click on a link and choose "open in a new tab"..............

The "wheel" of a wheel mouse is also a button. You can set Firefox to open a new window or "link" by clicking the wheel button.

I have both IE6 and Firefox and use them both. Some web pages don't open properly or have full functionality in Firefox because the web page authors have not followed standard coding. (they seam to figure that if it works in IE thats good enough even if it does not meet standards). Examples the Bureau of Metrology Radar page and my bank.

Firefox is brilliant when researching a topic because of the tabbed browsing but I would not want all tabs to open automatically

Richard, have a look in Tools/Options/Tabs, there's a few things there that might help, I havent fiddled with them myself.

Ah well, I've been bitten by the beta bug - IE7 has just gone belly up. What's nicer is that IE7 gives you instructions on how to remove it ... but it isn't where it says it is

Richard
    (yup, this is being written on Firefox)

Just as well I was told by MS that I had a pirated copy of XP, and I couldnt down load their latest offering of crap.

Al