Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Default Bathroom reno... Question on waterproofing..

Ok... agreed I am a woman who has no idea of the workmanship involved. But I am quite aware that we need to apply a waterproofing paint/membrane in the bathroom. But the guy who is doing our bathroom has laid the tiles straight over the cement sheet/blue color sheet without and when asked he just said he will apply a sealant on top of the tiles... Is this good enough for waterproofing the bathroom??? Please help. TIA

Default Waterproofing

I believe it is a minimum requirement to at least correctly waterproof the shower area and to a certain distance around if the shower is unenclosed. What your tiler is planning does not appear to meet that requirement from my limited knowledge on the subject.
    Juan

"If the enemy is in range, so are you."

I asked our tiler for more details like can he give the name of the product and stuff so I can look up on the internet... and he says he mixed a water repellant in the grout when he laid the tiles and that he guarantees his work... and I ask him for how many years and he just smiles... and I am supposed to take his word for it and he is not the kind of person who seems to speak the truth in my opinion...

So now he sas he will let me know what he is buying when he buys the next pack as he doesnt know what its called too... Ohh my God... what have I got into... after spending top dollars for all the bathroom products i end up with a bad workmanship... I just hope I dont have to redo the whole thing again coz of water leakage and which may costt me more to fix if the floor boards n stump rot out....

Default Waterproofing

My advice for what is worth is to seek expert advise immediately on whether his work complies with regulations. DO NOT PAY A CENT until you are sure it meets requirements. If it does not comply then the work must be redone correctly at his expense. Do not pay top $ for unsatisfactory work that may cost even more in the future. Hopefully you will receive advice that the work is fine but I have my doubts.
    Juan

I agree. Rule number 1 - never let a tiler waterproof!
    Cheers
    Michael

Waterproofing should be done by a person licensed to do so, if the tiler is licensed then he should show his documentation.

My son is a tiler and also has the necessary waterproofing license look out for the doggy ones

Quote Originally Posted by Simomatra View Post
    Waterproofing should be done by a person licensed to do so, if the tiler is licensed then he should show his documentation..........

Sam,
    that's certainly the case in Queensland, but possibly not so in Victoria. I did a bit of a search for contractor licensing in Victoria on Google but came away not much wiser. Perhaps some Victorian residents can shed some light on licensing requirements for waterproofing applicators and tilers in Vic.

Mick
    "If you need a machine today and don't buy it,

tomorrow you will have paid for it and not have it."

- Henry Ford 1938

I did some googling and this is what I came across... and since we are using enclosed shower we dont have to water proof the rest of the bathroom... n our tiler said he never heard of any regulations...
    http://www.infotile.com.au/services/...pers/wac.shtml

Default Waterproofing

Have you paid him yet?
    Juan

I have paid 3/4th of our agreed price. May I know why you ask?
    Thx

To be quite blunt the tiles will have to come up if you want the job to comply with the building regulations, this is the case in South Aus, the tiles must have a water proof membrane uderneath