Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Default Skirting board Gap to wall

Guys,

I am new to this forum and thought i would come for some advice as i am renovating a 1948 red brick home.
    Some background:
    I am looking to paint all the skirts and door frames, they are currently timber and have never been painted and don't have any clear on them (they look and feel like raw timber). Anyway, there are small but noticable gaps between the walls (plaster) and the timber skirt throughout the entire house. My question is in what to use to fill this gap. Do i use a selley no more gaps type product (which i can paint over ?) or a light filler type product eg Norjsco ? I have seen both used i just want the best and longest lasting solution.

If i were to use a gap type filler to get a smooth finish should i chase my work with a damp cloth to smooth over the finish of the gap filler that comes out of the gun?

Any help appreciated,
    Cheers,
    Peter.

I'd use a selleys type product ... think it would be more flexible and easier to apply. I would smooth it with a damp cloth or finger.

If you are going to paint the skirts (ie not clear finish) then I would just use No More Gaps. Squirt it in with the gun, run your finger over it, then wipe with a damp sponge.

I did some in a house once where I intended to oil the skirts, so I filled the gaps with a coloured acrylic filler (Caulk in Colours). Same deal but you can cut in to the edge of the filler with the wall colour and leave the coloured filler exposed so that your walls don't 'bleed' down onto the top of the skirting.
    "I don't practice what I preach because I'm not the kind of person I'm preaching to."

Are you sure they are raw timber ? if they have been oiled , stained or a clear finish applied then you may need a special undercoat before painting , bunnies sell this product as well as paint shops.
    As to sealing
    Ashore

The trouble with life is there's no background music.

thanks guys, thats what i wanted to hear. Re the timber, it would have been treated in some way, a sand and coat of Solver PSU would be a goer, you are right for sure (before top coating).