Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Drainage

Question Drainage

Hi all,

Not strictly on topic, but I'm hoping some of the experience here might shed some light on a drainage problem.

3 drains in the back yard used to be fine but now back up and overflow whenever we get a halfway decent rainfall. They feed into a common run that goes underneath a concrete slab and there are no plant roots in the vicinity that could be blocking them, and the problem seems to have started sometime after some work was done for a pergola. I suspect that either some cement has found its way into the drain, or it is simply blocked by dried mud after the long dry spells.

So called "experts" are saying it is insufficient fall, collapsed pipes, and other things that involve enough work to rebuild the pyramids. This just doesn't make any sense to me as they worked fine at one time. and the slab is still sound. If it is simply as I suspect, what's the best way to clear them, or at least eliminate the cheaper solutions before spending the superannuation on fixing the problem. I've tried a hose which seemed to alleviate the problem for a time but I can't get it down far enough to really clear it and now its back again.

Any ideas would be most welcome.

You could get one of those guys in with the cctv camera - then at least you know what you are delaing with.
    Not sure if you can rent them......

Of buy an extension to your hose....
    Geoff

Quote Originally Posted by normc
    Hi all,

Not strictly on topic, but I'm hoping some of the experience here might shed some light on a drainage problem.

3 drains in the back yard used to be fine but now back up and overflow whenever we get a halfway decent rainfall. They feed into a common run that goes underneath a concrete slab and there are no plant roots in the vicinity that could be blocking them, and the problem seems to have started sometime after some work was done for a pergola. I suspect that either some cement has found its way into the drain, or it is simply blocked by dried mud after the long dry spells.

So called "experts" are saying it is insufficient fall, collapsed pipes, and other things that involve enough work to rebuild the pyramids. This just doesn't make any sense to me as they worked fine at one time. and the slab is still sound. If it is simply as I suspect, what's the best way to clear them, or at least eliminate the cheaper solutions before spending the superannuation on fixing the problem. I've tried a hose which seemed to alleviate the problem for a time but I can't get it down far enough to really clear it and now its back again.

Quote Originally Posted by normc
    Hi all,

Have you thought about hiring a snake to do the job? It sounds like a buildup of sediment to me.
    Cheers,
    Craig

I did enquire about hiring a snake and even they're fairly expensive. Something like $140/half day & $180 for full day. I've never even seen one used so I don't know how long I'd need it, how to use it, the possibility of damage without any experience, etc. Typically, the hire company was pretty unhelpful with most questions, as they are these days. From memory, they also use their own motor and need a trailer to transport, which we don't have.
    If I had the confidence that it would solve the problem. we'd probably go ahead but without using one and knowing how well they work, I'm a little dubious.
    Norm

Most snakes I've seen are electric and would comfortably fit in the back of a ute or even a biggish boot. I've not used one either, but the principle is pretty simple and I don't think they'd be too harsh on your pipe, but others might disagree so don't take that as gospel.
    Cheers,
    Craig

Get a longer hose. Sounds like something is partially obstructing it and crap is building up over time and blocking it. Get one of those male to male connectors and borrow your neighbours hose and shove it down there and give it a blast. You might find it gets to a point and will go no further. At least then you'll know what the problem is.
    "I don't practice what I preach because I'm not the kind of person I'm preaching to."

Default Hire a snake

Where does the pipe under the slab discharge to?
    How far is this point from the slab?
    Does water ever come out of here?
    Was the pergola work anywhere near the drain?

If you can easily access the end of the pipe in a fairly straight line I would be hiring a snake and feeding it up and see what happens. I think the prices you have been quoted are high so if possible try somewhere else. Kennards have them for $68 for 4 hours. They will fit into the back of a wagon or ute or maybe the boot of a largish car.
    They have instructions on their web site www.kennards.com.au and even if you do not hire from them, at least that will give you some clues.

Jon

Already tried the hose thing but it goes so far and no further. Problem is, this could just be a right angle bend or a T junction in the pipes. No way of knowing.
    Kennards just informed me that electric eels are no good for plastic drainage pipes as the cutters will cut through the plastic very easily. They are for clay pipes apparently. The place is only about 6 yo so the pipes are most likely plastic I would think.

Norm
    Most plumbers have or have axcess to a snake
    Check them out on a price , ie one day on the way home etc

Sounds a bit suss if it only started after work on a pergola, was this built over the drain, was there any chance some off cuts could have entered the drain
    Can you axcess the drain just before it goes under the slab and where it comes out as you need to locate the blockage point , As silent c says get a longer hose etc and try from both ends if you can.
    As the drain is pvc if you can axcess it you can cut a hole with a hole saw to inspect then glue a patch over the hole

Rgds

Ashore

Thanks a lot, Jon thats useful info. Any thoughts on the plastic pipes? Kennards also mentioned that licensed drainers use special gear for plastic pipes thats not available for hire.

We had this drainage problem in a rented house once. We had a downpour and it flooded the yard. I searched around for a drain and I found a 50mm pipe poking out from under the garage wall. I grabbed the garden hose and poked it into the pipe. A short way in, it stopped, so I shoved it a bit harder and turned on the tap. A small rubber ball about the size of a ping pong ball came out. One of the kids had put it down there.

Cost: $0. My point: try and clear it with the hose before wasting your money on something you might not need. If you can't dislodge it with the hose, then go hire the snake. From your description, it sounds as though something is stuck down there and when you shoved the hose in, you either cleared it or pushed it further down.

A hose connector will cost you a couple of dollars.
    "I don't practice what I preach because I'm not the kind of person I'm preaching to."

You need to try and access it from the other side. That's what I did. If there's something in there, it might be stuck in a bend. You want to try and blast it out the way it came.

Know the feeling silent , put the hose from the road drain end and got a nerf ball , 4" diam foam rubber, then put a grill over the drain.

Ashore

if you can only poke the hose in so far, mark how far this is on the hose and then lay it out on the ground and see how far you are and what may have caused a problem in that area.

Do you have any idea where the pipes may run and would you expect a 90deg bend?
    I have used an eel on plastic pipes but was I fairly sure on which way the pipes were running and knew there was not a sharp enough bend that would cause the eel to dig out through the wall of the pipe.

If you jam the hose in (real hard) till it stops and then pull it out without turning the water on does it come out clean, muddy, wet or dry? The answer might help in working out what sort of obstruction you have got.

I should add that I have no proffesional experience but I am haunted by dodgy drains.

Jon

I couldn't get a plumber to use an eel on plastic pipe - they do have a habit to damage it.... having said that a mate of mine used one a couple of weeks ago and it seems to be fine.
    The stuff they use is a high pressure water cleaner - the head has fine jets that cut through tree roots etc and is less damaging on PVC pipe. Never seen anyplace that hire these.

Geoff