Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Thread: ohhh boy!!

Default ohhh boy!!

I have problem and it goes something like this

Im making a solid timber panel door out of pine for a friend, they want it stained to a hardwood colour. (didnt use hardwood because they couldnt afford it). Problem is if i stain it the end grain on the four panels will appear darker because it is end grain.

Now i know that some people add a little turps to the stain when doing end grain work but i really dont want to do this because it will end up getting messy and blodgy.

My idea is, can i spray the stain? or can i purchase some kind of tint that i can mix with the sprayable lacquer? I know there is a tint that you can mix with french polish to give it a bit of colour.

Hope im making sense!

Thanks

Joseph
    Why do people point to their wrist when asking for the time, but don't point to their crotch when they ask where the bathroom is?

Someone makes a one-step stain/varnish that can be sprayed. Comes in a few different colours.

Something similar to this
    http://www.wattyl.com.au/DIY/Products/ProductSearch/Product_Details.htm?Id=708

Have a nice day - Cheers

rowan, you have saved me an early death! i wonder if this stuff is hard to spray?
    Why do people point to their wrist when asking for the time, but don't point to their crotch when they ask where the bathroom is?

Nope, I used on a project at work and it sprays just like normal estapol. We mixed it with high quality thinners but I can't remember the ratio, but it should be on the container.
    The only thing is that the more you spray the darker/more intense the colour gets. So maybe just one or two coats to get the colour, then go back to normal estapol for build up of finish?
    Have a nice day - Cheers

one other option is to seal the piece peior to staning with weak shelac or similar that should even out the absorption.

cheers
    Any thing with sharp teeth eats meat.
    Most powertools have sharp teeth.
    People are made of meat.
    Abrasives can be just as dangerous as a blade.....and 10 times more painfull.

Joseph,
    if you're using mirotone lacquer (or probably any other brand) then you can mix stain into it. I usually just do this for one coat after the sanding sealer (so you get a nice even application - that is, as long as you're even with the spray gun) and then overcoat with 2 or 3 clear. If you're not using lacquer, then you need to give it a burl. It's probably the most popular commercially applied clear finish.

Mick
    "If you need a machine today and don't buy it,

tomorrow you will have paid for it and not have it."

- Henry Ford 1938

Sand the end grain to 1~2 grades higher sand paper, I sand to 220G and finish the end grain with 320... works a treat!
    Only use oil based stain(on crapiarta pine) and dont thin the stain, just put it on with a brush dont let it dry.
    Use a rag to rub it into the grain and then a clean rag to wipe off the excess.

Repeat... dont let the stain dry before being rubbed out!

If you wish for a very dark stain dont sand any more than 150 grit(180 end grain)

Hey Joe (Good title for a song),

I have heard (but not used) that coating end grain with boiled linseed oil will prevent the darkening. I believe you can use U-Beaut sanding prep for the same purpose.

Regards,

Rob

Thanks heaps for the help guys! I have decided to spray the door with a sanding sealer, maybe 2 coats, then apply the stain on top, followed by the top gloss lacquer. I think this should work?

One other thing, if i was to spray the stain im guessing i still have to wipe off the stain with a rag?

cheers

Joseph

If your spraying a stain on it really needs to be a spirit/water based stain... no rub off what comes off the gun is what you get, it must be done after raising the grain and before sand sealer.
    Dont try spraying oil based as it'll dry before you've had a chance to work it, which in turn will give you a patchy/blotchy look.

With oil based I use no sanding sealer at all, its pointless if you want a dark colour you need the solids and carrier to soak into the wood.(the thing that sealer stops!)
    A sanding sealer is best after colour, you can use shellac thinned heaps after raising the grain with water to help hold the wood fibres before spraying a spirit/water based stain, then use sanding sealer.

These crapiarta panels have no sealer just stain, end grain is finished too 320g the rest is 220g, stain is oil based blackwood.

Note on the flat table top(bar tenders deck...)there are some finger marks, my silly fault... after sanding the end grain I didnt clean the top properly with some wax remover(prepsol), if I had waited a day or so before applying the stain I wouldnt need to use a dewaxer!

Wattyl produce a stain estapol finish but not for exterior use, perhaps it could be used under their exterior finish , best bet ask at a wattyl outlet , note not bunnies etc but a wattyl factory outlet.

Rgds
    Ashore

The trouble with life is there's no background music.