Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Thread: Moving House

Default Moving House

Hi All

I've been thinking the last week or so, about shifting a house, 3 bedroom, tin roof on stumps, over a road to a new location about 500m away, in a rural area (paddocks all round, just cut the fence and drive through).

Has anybody moved a house in the same situation or moved one not very far? What were the costs for the move? Keeping in mind that apart from the disconnection of power and actual move, I plan to do all the restoration and stumping etc, myself. The cost of lifting up, moving and placing back down is what I'm more interested in, just a rough guess, $5000, $10000 or ???

Regards

Matt

If you don't have to drop the roof to go under power lines you might not even need to cut the house into sections. This makes it a real easy job.

You might get change out of $5000. Its just a matter of finding someone to do it.

One tip,
    nail a heap of fence palings (or other thin boards) over the ceilings into the ceiling joists.
    That way yoiu're unlikely to lose ceilings if the trailer hits a few bumps in the paddocks. The more palings the better.
    Regards, Bob Thomas

www.wombatsawmill.com

Thanks Bob

By the way, Bob, the house is 15km out the other side of Simpson, not far from you.

Regards

Matt

sewer? water? rural enough that neither is mains connected?

I got quotes for raising and that was only about 15k including the demolition and removal of an entire slab. The real $ were in disconnecting, extending, reconnecting and building up to current code for sewer, water, gas, phone and electricity which left not much change from 50k

So if that stuff isn't a worry it probably won't be very expensive.

http://www.houseraising.com.au/pricing.html was intereting for me.... may or may not help you.

Hi All

Sewer would be septic tank, water would be water tank(s) could throw a stone at the power line, more than likely no gas, but would be bottle if we did.

Rural as in farm, 490 acres.

Regards

Matt

Unclear what you mean about throwing a stone at the power line. If you need to go under, you can prop higher like an old-time clothesline. Often used for traffic signal catenaries here. Might be advisable to get assistance from a sparkie.

Joe
    Of course truth is stranger than fiction.
    Fiction has to make sense. - Mark Twain

"throwing a stone at the power line" means the power line is so close you could hit it if you throw a stone at it.
    Regards, Bob Thomas

www.wombatsawmill.com

Well now, that's right close. You'd be disconnecting the feed to the house, of course. If you can steer away from the pole, you might be able to prop the line. Or, it might be high enough already.

Joe
    Of course truth is stranger than fiction.
    Fiction has to make sense. - Mark Twain