Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Default Kapex Ks88- latest price puts pressure on ks120

I have noticed that the ks88 prices are getting keener at the moment. I saw one place advertising it for $1199. I was mulling over the idea of a ks120 myself but for around $650 cheaper than the ks120 sticker price, I was wondering whether the extra features are worth that kind of money

hi tp1.

buy the ks88!

the extra features on the 120 are..
    1. laser
    2.angle finder
    3. depth of cut

in 20 years working in construction, i could live quite happily without these extra features.
    lasers really are just the latest and greatest gimmick.
    angle finder is a handy tool, but you can buy this as a seperate accessory if you really needed it.
    depth of cut. well its always nice to have the biggest and baddest saw available, in reality the amount of times that you will need to make that large depth of cut would be few and far between.

at that price, i would consider buying a ks 88 myself.

btw. the advice above is based on my own personal experience and not to be taken too seriously. obviously other members will have totally different needs than me.

where did you see it advertised?

justin.

Another thing that's missing is the turnknob to dial in the bevel.

The tall miter setting is not something I would really miss. But the laser is more handy than you would think. It's really nice to set up for compound miter cuts for example, or when you have to cut to a scribed line, or when you have to cut profiles when you can't bring the teeth of the saw to your mark.

I saw it advertised at F&K Power Tools . Their website is F & K Power Tools & Accessories, Diamond blades, fasteners, tool repairs and service.

I think Festool must be serious in trying to get the Kapex onto worksites and at prices at which tradesmen would consider a bit more reasonable, this is more likely to happen.

The only other saw I would contemplate ( because I need one that can be operated against a wall) is the Hitachi C12LSH(H1). Now that saw has a laser, fine bevel and mitre adjustment (including digital readout) and bigger cutting capacity. The KS88 has advantages of dust collection and greater portability.

It ain't easy deciding although if decent discounts were offered on the KS120 it may change the equation.

thanks for the info tp1.

at that price, i am very tempted to buy a kapex ks-88.

it would be interesting to see how it fairs, bouncing around in the back of my work trailer for a year.

as much as i love my makita ls1013 saws, they always loose their accuracy after 1-2 years because of the trailer issue.

justin.

Your welcome Justin.

The problem you are experiencing with the Makita could affect all SCMS's. There are a lot of things to go out of alignment on those machines and bouncing around in a trailer for a couple of years will do the trick. Then again, if the Festool makes your life easier on the job then it has to be a good idea.

Tasso

Owing a top model Kapex.....I'd go for the top model, japanese made, Makita instead.....cutting depth adjustment being my major bug-bear (see recent thread on it). Saying that, its superb with everything else.

Actually I checked out the latest Makita's today alongside Kapex. Certainly they are beautifully put together with well engineered metal surfaces vs plastic on the Kapex.
    The new Makita also has two sets of shorter rails - high and low, to prevent alignment problems that can be caused by heavy use with conventional systems.

Well, I ended up going with the Kapex 120. It came down to Festool or Makita and if I didn't have real need for the smallest operating machine footprint, I wouldn't have hesitated to get one of Makita's beautiful new 4 rail models.

I paid $1699 for it -(not from WA!). The funny thing is when I gave a local Festool premier dealer the opportunity to discount below the RRP they declined, and tried to suggest I was somehow being duped by the eastern states based dealer.

I cannot stand it when one dealer bags another one and I tend to lose confidence in them. Anyway, the price may still be on the high side for an SCMS but the Kapex 120 is the one that ticks most of the boxes for me.

Quote Originally Posted by TP1 View Post
    Makita's beautiful new 4 rail models.
    Whats that one?

congrats tasso.

enjoy the new toy!

you may have to calibrate the lasers first and you should also check to see if it is cutting square.

i recommend removing the cheap and nasty looking plastic zero clearance plate as it will probably swell up in the spring/summer heat.

i have replaced the cheap plastic crap with a beautiful piece of forest red gum.
    it certainly is the dogs balls!

justin.

Quote Originally Posted by Lignum View Post
    Whats that one?
    SYDNEY TOOLS - Makita 305mm Slide Compound Mitre Saw + Laser

Quote Originally Posted by justinmcf View Post
    congrats tasso.

enjoy the new toy!

you may have to calibrate the lasers first and you should also check to see if it is cutting square.

i recommend removing the cheap and nasty looking plastic zero clearance plate as it will probably swell up in the spring/summer heat.

i have replaced the cheap plastic crap with a beautiful piece of forest red gum.
    it certainly is the dogs balls!

justin.
    Thanks Justin for your good wishes and the advice.