Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Default Melbourne west shed meet

G'day all,

There has been some recent interest in getting a few of us less experienced wood workers together to have a bite and a pint over the work bench. Thus, I offer by humble (and I do mean humble) workshop up for an open invitation to anyone interested in a simple meet and greet with the chance to show off your skills, or if you're like me, to pick up some new ones!

So far I have four or five Melbournites interested in a BBQ and a few brews, so feel free to come along and perhaps put some names to some faces. As details become clearer I'll post changes, in the mean time, details as follows:

Date: 5th of January 2008
    Time: All are welcome from 10am, lunch at midday-ish. Perhaps dinner too.

Offers for provision of food and beverages have been made, but if numbers grow it'll have to become a BYO affair. If numbers grow a *lot* I might ask someone to bring another BBQ over too.

If anyone with perhaps a more substantial workshop would like to act as host to the event, please don't hesitate to offer, I don't have a huge amount of space or gear to share around.

That's all for now, I'll talk to y'all soon!
    "Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so."
    - Douglas Adams

thumbsucker

Default me to

astrid

i'm in too

Saturday's a work day for me, but goodonya for hosting one, kman.

The beatings will continue until morale improves.

Fire Season for me but there is a slight chance I might be able to make it.
    - Wood Borer

I may poke my whiskers around the corner - it's always good to meet new members and pick their brains (and I reckon someone'll have to show all you potential darksiders how to turn the lights on... ) - but won't know for sure until a lot closer to the date.
    I may be weird, but I'm saving up to become eccentric.

- Andy Mc

Default sob sob sob

Wish I could be there....I know ....LOTTO....if I win I'm there.....
    KEKEMO

http://Groups.msn.com/WOODWORKCountryCottage

Otherwise....Bummer....I miss out!
    Don't think you're playing it safe by walking in the middle of the road.....that's the surest way to get hit by traffic coming from both ways!
    I'm passionate about woodwork.......making Sawdust again & loving it!

The more the meerier! I think I'll have to work out how to open the windows in the garage, I have a feeling it will be hot. Does anyone have a kiddy pool?

Croydon and Tolmie are a fair hike guys, I look forward to meet you all.

Um, not keen on posting my address, PM me if you're interested in coming, I'll confirm attendance shortly before the day and send out the address then. The wife has decided to make some of her famous burgers, I'll see what I can do about my famous greek and pasta salads. If you want to bring something along, feel free, I'll make sure there's plenty of ice. If there's any beer left over from my son's christening this weekend I'll put it aside as well (as much for you as to stop me drinking it all actually!).

Ok, workshops; the original idea was to share some knowledge amongst the less experienced of us, so if there's something you'd like to share please make a suggestion. I'm happy for anyone to make use of my workshop for the day, if there's anything in particular you need let me know. I have a fair assortment of power and hand tools, but it wouldn't hurt to bring some along either.

I'll put my hand up for making and tuning wooden planes, and I think TS will be bringing his HNT planes along so he'll probably be able to help me out a bit here. Here's a basic list of what I have currently, but there's prabably a lot more I can't remember:

- small table saw/ work bench with two small front vices
    - router table and various bits
    - sliding mitre saw
    - small drill press
    - hand drills
    - tenon saw
    - basic measuing and marking gear
    - planes: 4, 5, 6, block and 60* wooden smoothing planes
    - basic chisels
    - biscuit joiner
    - one rough bench with engineering vice
    - bench grinder and sharpening gear (honing guide, stones, glass, W/D paper...)

I've also made a fair size lapping plate, so if you have some planes that need fettling, bring them along too.

See y'all soon!

Dave.
    "Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so."
    - Douglas Adams

I have a few LN planes, LN saws, LN chisels, water stones, arkansas stone, ceramic stones, a few different marking gauges etc but like I said, we will be on fire alert up here and fairly nervous after the fires earlier this year.
    - Wood Borer

Dave do you have a woodworking vice? Or a working workmate?

I am willing to give demonstrations on handcut Dovetailing and M&T joinery and the using of shaping tools like Drawknife, Spokeshave's and raps for shaping legs and curved items. As well as gloating over my HNT planes.

That is about the most I could do in a day.

If someone has a video camera then we can record some of the stuff and post it on the forum.

The only thing I would would need is if someone could give me a lift to and from Daves place from Seddon (very near Dave). As I do not have a car and I would be caring a large box of tools and going on the train and bus would not be feasible.

WB, would be great if the LN stuff came along! I'd be interested to see how the ceramic stone compares too.

TS, I've only got two small front vices on my main bench. Not much chop, but they're cheap and effective like most of my tools. Basic 6" steel body jobbies with wooden faces flush mounted to the front of the bench at either end.

I know ftje is very nearby Laverton also, perhaps he could give you a lift? Otherwise I'll come and get you if you're up for an early start?
    - Douglas Adams

Default looking good

I can bring a kiddie pool If we can fill it.
    personally i think the water poeple can spare a drip in a good cause and i havent washed my car or windows this year (or last)
    I can bring small clamps that we could attach to an old table if there is a shortage of vices

astrid

TS, Im comming from "Brrhieghton" but can pick you up if theres no-one nearer
    Last edited by astrid; 30th October 2007 at 08:01 PM. Reason: added info

astrid it would be nice if you could do a pickup along the way. However we will see as we get closer to the date and make arrangements accordingly.

Gday Lads,

sorry its been a couple of days..

I can pick you up TS if need be.. But as you said, we'll see what happens closer to the date.

Cheers

Joe