Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Default Staining floorboards

hi, we are currently in the proccess of choosing floorboard for our house. we idealy would like to get a dark brown wood however this is extremenly expensive to get. so we are now looking into staining the wood japan black however are just worried that it may look cheap. can any one tell me the pro's and con's of staining? we would like quite a dark look.

thanks
    Corrina

Check out Feastwatson proof tint colours. these can mixed to your personel choice. The mixture of proof tint is then mixed in with a stain bases (also feastwatson) this is applied to the floor once the sanding process has been completd. Once the stain base dryes you can apply two coats of floor finsh like tung oil, oil modified or water bases.

I am currently doing a large resturant in sydney. We are using Stringey Bark north NSW inland hardwood flooring that is light in colour. (similar to vic ash but no pink in it) that we are staining up to be like Tallowood which is rich brown in colour. We have done a number of samples to get the mix right, using eye droper to measure out ratios for futre referrnce.

In relation to the application, if DIYing need to take it slow and wipe off excess stain as you go, especialy when cutting in the edges by brush. The stain bases gives the staining process workability. IF get a pro in make sure he/she has done staining before, you are paying big money to have it done so they will need to know what they are about. 9 out of 10 floor sanders are not trades people.

Gaza... Why wouldn't you use the real thing (Tallowood)???

Hooroo.
    Regards, Trevor
    Grafton

Default Black floors

Our floors are black - not all of them, just those in the living room, dining room and kitchen. It doesnt look cheap - everyone who sees it wants to tell us how great it looks. I dont think I would like all the floors in the house black - that might be overpowering. Its better to limit such a powerful effect to a small number of interconnected rooms. The rest of the house has mid-brown floors. Where the brown floor meets the black it looks particularly striking.

We chose black because we have a lot of dark granite in the kitchen. We had light brown floors for a few years but they just didnt set it off at all. Now the granite looks sensational and everything seems to work together.

The problem I find is that it shows every bit of dirt - I guess its mostly dust and rug fluff. Think carefully about this - it can be a real problem.

The stain we used I would not recommend. We have had no problems, though, except where some heavy scratches were made before the stain was fully dry. It is covered in four coats of surface finish (dont know what sort) now and nothing seems to bother it.

Arron

Trevor

$$$$ cilent is tight **** so a saving of $30.0m2 on timber is a big deal when you are talking about a 100's of m2.

Just done big job in Tallow about 650m2 looks great, was high gloss finsh.

Arron, which finish did you use, could you post pics? I'm keen to use either one coat o black japan or use Wattyl floorstain.

Floor is cypress.... new and old, so i'm keen to blend.

Cheers
    Pulse