Attachment 74823

I have 2 doors like the one above (seem to be made of ply wood). They have a lacquer on top which I've tried various ways to remove with varying degrees of success. I'm hoping the experts here can give me a shortcut on how to quickly remove it.

I've tried the following:
1) Sanding with 1/4 sheet sander. This works kind of but goes through sandpaper like no tomorrow and if I'm not careful the heat from the friction produces blobs of dark lacquer across the wood. Probably least viable way of removing the lacquer.

2) Heat gun. This gets rid of some of the lacquer but god is it slow and labour intensive. I gave up after half an hour. I need to do 2 cabinet doors as in picture, a set of french doors and their accompanying door frames so it would seemingly take months. Maybe I'm expecting too much?. Perhaps it'll be enough to remove 50% of lacquer and the other with manual sanding?

3) Manually sanding the board. This worked the best as not enough friction is created to melt the lacquer and redeposit it elsewhere. Trouble is I like to work smart rather than hard so this will be my option of last resort.

What I plan to do is head into bunnings and buy some paint stripper. Is there a certain type to get rid of lacquer?

How well will this work? Is it worth spending the money or will results be poor and just as labour intensive as heatgun+manual sanding. I understand that I'll still need to sand but at least I'm hoping that the lacquer won't be being heated up by the friction of the electronic sander and clogging the paper and creating blotches of lacquer all over the wood. Any advice?

I noticed 4L of paint stripper in Aldi still available for $30 (http://www.aldi.com.au/au/html/offers/2867_6708.htm). Just happened on it by chance and only a couple left at just one out of the 3 stores in my area. Has anyone used it and can comment on whether it's any good. Is there cheaper and better at bunnings one could recommend? I'm not after super expensive solutions as the budget is minimal.

Appreciate any advice!

Attached Thumbnails

Read the full thread at RenovateForum.com...