Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Default Gas stove intallation

I know this is probably a "how long is a piece of string "question, but I want to get an idea of what it would cost to got my electric stove exchanged for a gas one. Thought I might get a second hand gas stove to replace a cruddy old electric one that only has two cooking elements and grill working. I was reasoning that the cost of repair was going to be comparable with getting something else. And I'd much rather get a gas one.
    Of course everyone is away 'cause its xmas so I can't even get hold of a plumber to ask him dumb questions. We already have the gas on and the pipe to the heater runs past where the stove needs to go.
    Anyone out there willing to have a stab at a ball park price of what it could cost? AGL also quoted $150 to disconnect the elec. one. Why would it cost that much? Do they have to remove everything back to the fuse box or something?
    Hope someone can help. Thanks in advance.
    anne-maria.
    T
    ea Lady

(White with none)
    Follow my little workshop/gallery on facebook. things of clay and wood.

I'm changing from electric to a dual fuel stove. I can do the electrics myself (yes I'm licensed) but the gas fitter is coming on the 3rd of January.

I'll let you know the cost but mine will be a lot higher than yours since I don't now have gas at all. Also mine will be LPG not natural gas.

As for the electrics, many gas stoves have electricity connected to run the fan, light, electronic ignition etc anyway. If that's the case then it's basically disconnect the old one and connect the new one, probably by installing a power point to which the gas stove is plugged in (most come with a plug attached). Also possibly install a smaller circuit breaker at the switchboard.

If the electricity is being disconnected to the stove completely then they will need to disconnect the wiring back at the switchboard. It would be illegal to simply turn the breaker off and not disconnect it - someone could turn it back on by mistake and then you'd have a live wire somewhere which could give someone a shock or start a fire.

They might as well remove the wiring too if it's under the house and easily accessible. Otherwise it's OK (and quite legal) to simply terminate the cable properly at both ends and leave it in place disconnected (it must be terminated though just in case someone mistakes it for something else when doing some electrical work in the future and connects it to power by mistake).

All up, I'd expect a few hundred $ to do the gas and disconnect the power assuming the pipe is already close as you said and also assuming it is of sufficient size. Gas is generally cheaper to use than electricity (not everywhere though - check if in doubt) so you'll probably get the money back in lower bills eventually.

Thanks for that Smurf. It now seems, after another day of ringing people and poking about that tradies don't like installing secondhand cookers unless they are reconditioned. And then it becomes not such a cheep option. Sigh! Bit more poking around required I guess.
    anne-maria.
    T
    ea Lady

(White with none)

A plumber worth his salt would re-condition it for you, as he is legally required to make sure the appliance is in good working order anyhow. When they re-condition these things it usually means pulling it apart, cleaning every thing, replace the jets and gas cocks if needed and test it.
    Plumbers were around long before Jesus was a carpenter

Also be aware that although there's a gas line running past the stove, it may be too small to fuel both the heater and the stove/cooktop when both are running at full capacity.

So it's possible that the line may need to be upsized, to the stove at least.

With luck it won't be a problem for you; but the gas-fitter/plumber should at least check it out. If they simply come in, install a tee, hook up the stove and hand you the bill then they're not exactly what I'd call conscientious....
    I may be weird, but I'm saving up to become eccentric.

- Andy Mc

I think I've called it all to hard at this point. Started to add to collection of microwave recipes started in that gas outage some years ago. ( I lived in Rental house then with gas everything. One I even still make. Microwave steamed pudding. Walk into kitchen going "I feel like steamed pudding" Walk out less than 10 minutes later with steamed pudding. Really impresses visitors.))
    anne-maria.
    T
    ea Lady

(White with none)

Mine cost $579.

That includes the LPG regulator, about 15 metres of gas pipe run under the house plus the labour to install the cooker. Took about 4 hours including changing the jets fron natural gas to LPG (both types came with the cooker).

Not included is the cost of the LPG bottles and electrical work (which I did).

It should be a lot cheaper for a short connection to an existing gas pipe. Should take less time. Also less pipe needed, don't need a new regulator etc.

$579 hey! That doesn't seen so scary. You always hear of horror stories where its cost thousands, but I think that is if the pipe has to go through some serious walls and stuff. Maybe I wiil investigate further the second hand stove option.
    anne-maria.
    T
    ea Lady

(White with none)