Question What Type of Sander ?

Hi Would like to know what type of sander to use ie. Random Orbital, Belt,1/3 - 1/2 Sheet ?
    I Like to make different types of furniture,like the projects shown in Woodsmith & Aust.Woodworker.
    I only started about six months ago and am entirely self taught.I didn't know you could get 1200 grit sheets, is this for hand sanding or can you get this type for power sanders? Wire wool?? I thought this was for scrubbing dishes!! Please enlighten me on this and anything that may be useful to achieving a professional look.
    Thanks

G'day Nuggett - I see you got it working OK.

Random orbital but don't buy a cheap one get a good one like Festo. You can get grits way above 1200 grit but using anything over 2000 grit on timber is a waste. Actually once you get up over 1200 grit it is very hard to tell the difference on all but the hardest and denses timbers. These finer grits can be used by hand or on a sander. The finer grits over 1200 are usually wet and dry paper (black) with the finest and best in Australia being made by the better manufacturers like Hermes snd SIA.

Never use steel (wire) wool on raw timber save it for use on metal or polished surfaces. It can also be used as the final cleaning abrasive when stripping furniture, but don't use it as a step in the sanding process, especially with tannin rich timbers like oak, mahocany and most Australian hardwoods.

If you use it with some oil finishes like Danish Oil it can heat up to the point of combustion, and has been linked to a number of workshop fires. It can also take off a finger or strip the flesh off to the bone if it catches on turned work and will give very nasty cuts if it is torn apart instead of cut.

For lots more info on sanding and most other finishing stuff try A Polishers Handbook

Hope this is of help to you.

Cheers - Neil
    KEEP A LID ON THE GARBAGE... Report spam, scams, and inappropriate posts, PMs and Blogs.
    Use the Report icon at the bottom of all Posts, PM's and Blog entries.

Smile

Thanks Neil
    I'll be placing an order for that book pronto!
    Just one question Random Orbital is that the round or is it the flat bottom sander?
    Pardon my ignorance
    Brad

Drop Bear Capital of Gippsland (Lang Lang) Vic Australia

Round, 5" or 6" depending upon the tool.
    The Festool rotex is superb (me being a little biased along with a couple of other on this forum) as it boasts Random orbital as well as rotary sanding.
    Superb dust extraction and variable speed.
    It looks a little strange but the ergonomics have been well researched and thought out.
    There are a lot of ROS's out there and as long as you get a reputable brand you should be OK. I am aware that Metabo have a unit with a variabl;e stroke but as I have not used one I cannot comment.
    Stupidity kills. Absolute stupidity kills absolutely.

I endorse what Iain has said in regards to the Festool Rotex even after he was instrumental in having me abuse the credit card to the tune of some serious $$$$$$$$

Seriously this is a fine machine and will do what you require of it as opposed to some of the mass produced plastic types around and is backed by apparent quality control seriously lacking in the cheaper tools.

Cheers
    Johnno

Everyone has a photographic memory, some just don't have film.

Smile

Thanks For the advise.
    I think I've found the sander you spoke of,please confirm;Festool RO 150 E-Plus RRP $745.00!!!!!!!
    It looks like a small angle grinder.
    Also can you explain the use of "Shellak"
    Not sure what they use this for?
    Well I'll have to break the news to the wife the she won't be going to some exotic SE Asian Paridise on holiday as I need the money for the sander!

Talking

Looks like an angle grinder, doesn't feel like one!
    Shop around as very few people charge full RRP.
    Get one of these and all other ROS look and feel like toys. I also use mine for polishing with good results.

Yep like Iain said..shop around check the Festool Oz web site out.
    Not too sure but could be www.festool.com.au

You can't go amiss with this beaut it'll even take the missus make-off of in a bloody hurry while you're waitin'for her to turn the light out when all you want to do is sleep off the Coonawarra Red
    Johnno

Everyone has a photographic memory, some just don't have film.

NUGGETT - Re the shellac (not shellak). Get the book it has lots of info on shellac. There is even one small chapter devoted to the stuff (where it comes from, uses and other useless but very informative and extremely well written info).

[This message has been edited by ubeaut (edited 04 April 2002).]
    KEEP A LID ON THE GARBAGE... Report spam, scams, and inappropriate posts, PMs and Blogs.
    Use the Report icon at the bottom of all Posts, PM's and Blog entries.

Talking

John, what grit?
    Neil, are you suggesting shellac as make up or was that just poor timimg?

------------------
    : http://community.webshots.com/user/iain49

I guess I should toss in my 2 cents worth on this subject. I agree that the Festool is a great tool IF you are going to use it all yhe time or if you simply want that warm fuzzy inner glow that you get from spending a whole lot of money. For the more impoverished of the comunity such as I, well we make do with things like Ryobi and the like. I even bought a "Super Works" ROS and found that it did the job I wanted it for quite well, which was fine sanding a floor between finish coats of clear Poly. It has a 2 year warranty and cost $65 less 20% on sale. It did not come with a Festool "Systainer" though. But a cardboard box will have to do me.Reality bites again.
    Dennis.

Cool

Which sander there are many choices the festo rotex is favoured by some but it was too rich for me.
    Take a look at the METABO DUO their large random orbit machine.
    Ive had one now for about 12 months and it has become one of my favorite tools.
    selectable orbit size, variable speed and under A$400.
    A few recomendations about it and other random orbit machines
    1 they are happiest on flat surfaces and completely useless for detail
    2 always use forced dust extraction ( industrial vac)on any sander if available I have never used the bag on my belt sander and only used the bag on the metabo once for 10 seconds before I went & got the vac
    3 The serious machines work so vigorously and efortlessly that at first the abrasive consumption may be suprisingly high, buy be sure to look ar the work done not the time the abrasive has been on the machine

I can highly recommend the purchase of a serious random orbit machine. you will chuckle ha ha ha every time you pick it up.

And the finish
    it gives the impression of one or two higher gritts than are on the machine compared to an orbital
    and the dust
    if you use a vac What dust.
    Any thing with sharp teeth eats meat.
    Most powertools have sharp teeth.
    People are made of meat.
    Abrasives can be just as dangerous as a blade.....and 10 times more painfull.