Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Default Float and valve in cistern too slow

G'day,

Bit of a long story so bear with me. We've got a rainwater tank which supplies our toilets through an on demand pump. The problem is when you flush the toilet and the cistern refills, as the float rises higher the valve in the cistern slows the water flow down to a trickle, getting slower and slower as it approaches full. I would guess it takes 20 mins to fill the cistern with the last 19 mins being an absolutely miniscule trickle. This would be absolutely fine if the toilet were connected to the mains, but in our case this just causes the pump to cycle on and off for 20 seconds every 2 mins until the cistern is full.

Was thinking of buying a better float and valve for the cistern and was wondering if you think this will fix the problem, or if there was another way.

Thanks

Hi,

I had the same problem, I done as you suggested, problem solved.
    Hope this helps.

mabe you could mention the problem to your plumbing supplier I'm sure they will recomend the best cistern for the job.

there are fast fill cistern valves on the market fluidmaster is the brand I think bunnies should have them or reece for sure

They fill with the water fully open and then shut off from open to closed in one go.

They should fix your problem.

Cheers Ian
    Some People are like slinky's,
    They serve no purpose at all,
    but they put a smile on your face when you throw them down the stairs.

I was gonna tell ya to get another valve, but they beat me to it, so I won't.
    Boring signature time again!

Thanks for the replies everyone. Off to Bunnings ASAP.

Errr now the horse has bolted, I personally dont like the Fluidmaster valve and wont use them because Ive had trouble with ones that others have installed. I use Caroma Quietflow valves, a little dearer but far better and easier to adjust.
    Jack

Quote Originally Posted by Jacksin
    Errr now the horse has bolted, I personally dont like the Fluidmaster valve and wont use them because Ive had trouble with ones that others have installed. I use Caroma Quietflow valves, a little dearer but far better and easier to adjust.
    Just an enquiry ,please.We have a header tank for our house watersupply.I have been manualy swiching on a h.h.pressure pump every few day's.I'm getting prety sick of doing this .Do you think one of these walves would work?ie-turn the water off ,create back pressure in the h.h.p. pump,turn it off,then keep refilling the tank with the h.h.p.pump as we use the water?Advice appreciated .
    Regards ,Bela
    forge