Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Default how to select quality tiles?

Hi guys,
    I was just wondering is there a method of choosing quality tiles? or are most basically the same and quality just depends on how much im willing to pay? im looking at buying some plain white floors and wall tiles not too sure what size as yet but either 300mm x 300mm or 200mm x 300mm for walls and most likely 300mm x 300mm or 400mm x 400mm for the floor. Is there a certain thickness i should look for? and how much should i expect to pay per sqm in victoria for decent tiles?

Also anyone know of a good place to buy tiles in the bayswater or clayton/dandenong area in victoria?

thanks in advance. Sorry for all these questions hope i dont sound too much of a leech since this is my first post

Hi, I had a lot of trouble finding plain white floor tiles. Its easy to find plain white wall tiles but the tougher floor tiles seem to be less common in plain white because of the slip hazard or something I guess. They always seemed to have a fleck through them or some light pattern. I eventually got them at Lylidale tiles but this was all a couple of years ago, so maybe you will have better luck!

Hi lobboroz

The sales person will tell you what the tile is rated for (it goes on hardness not thickness) - floor / walls etc.

apparently need harder one for high traffic areas etc.

White is not a good idea on a floor especially bathrooms, they show everything.

$20 - 30 is a reasonable price for mid range tiles - tho you can get same quality cheaper at a discount place.

Celeste

Quote Originally Posted by lobboroz View Post
    thanks in advance. Sorry for all these questions hope i dont sound too much of a leech since this is my first post
    You got me on a Good day
    You might try purchasing ALL of the Remains of one of their "End of Stock" Tile lines.
    Often Glad to get rid of ALL of them.
    Navvi

I just laid 13 square m of tiles in a unit and as its a rental I bought seconds , the guy said they were a bit chipped but looked OK to me so I bought them . I went to buy the spacers and he slyly said I wouldnt need them . I found out why later as I was laying the tiles . They were seconds because they varied in size by up to 1.5mm and it made it impossible to do the job 100% . Still came up ok but I wouldn't want them in my house . Just something to be aware of if contemplating buying "seconds"
    Rick
    uhm , where am I ?

In Bayswater there's a couple of good places for tiles. First try Keith Faggs on Canterbury Rd. They have lots of "end lots" as well as new stuff and you can often pick up a bargain. In bayswater also is Romano tiles. Not as cheap but a good range of high quality stuff. Don't forget the factory too. Johnson Tiles sells direct from their factory on Dorset rd Boronia.

SF

Default 2nd grade tiles

Australian standards allow 1st grade tiles to vary in size +/- 0.5%. This doesn't sound too much but consider a 400 x 400 tile is allowed to go +/- 2mm and still be called first grade. So imagine you're laying your tiles and you get a few +2mm in one row and a few -2mm in an adjacent row. If you're using spacers you'll soon be out by 10mm. You definitely don't want to use 2nd grade tiles unless you enjoy crawling around on your knees for hours on end trying to make the job look half decent.

Mick
    "If you need a machine today and don't buy it,

tomorrow you will have paid for it and not have it."

- Henry Ford 1938