Thread: vapours

Default vapours

Hi folks

I am about to build a set of plan draws for an artist friend. One of the requirements is that the drawers internal surfaces be finished with a coating that does not give off harmful gasses. Apparently, some finishes give off significant amounts of acidic or alkaline gasses for years after they have been applied that attack and cause damage to any paper stored near them. The art industry is very sensitive about everything needing to be acid-free.

So I am looking for something that is neutral ph. Anyone got any clues?

Thanks

Cheers

Personally I would be leaving the drawers unfinished this is usually the best way of conserving paper and is why all good fully enclosed bookcased are never sealed inside. The raw timber draws moisture away from the paper and should be pretty well compatible with all papers, being as how that's what the paper is made from.

Cheers - Neil

PS That wouldn't be horse as in David M of Wyndham St would it??
    56 Rock n Roll rebel....... Too old to die young and too young to be an old fart. Guess I'll just keep on rockin' and refuse to grow old gracefully.

Are you a registered member? Why not? click here to register. It's free and only takes around 40 seconds!

Default Thanks

Thanks Neil.

What you suggest makes good sense. It had not occured to me that it might be best to leave it alone. Saves me a bit of extra work too.

I spent an interesting arvo over a few beers with the artist and spent some time talking about some of the technical aspects of his work. I did not know just how technical making art can be. Most of the papers he uses are hand made and cost anything up to $18 per sheet (a sheet being around 60 x 70 cm). The papers are made from cotton fibre, not wood pulp which surprised me, and is part of why they cost so much. At that price I would want to be carefull about where I stored it too.

Thanks again Neil.

PS That wouldn't be horse as in David M of Wyndham St would it??
    Nope, I am David L of Barkly St.

Cheers

Drop Bear Capital of Gippsland (Lang Lang) Vic Australia

Just a little aside but I recall hearing some years ago that chipboard shelves in kitchens emitted some chemical/gas and was eveident when jelly stored in theses shelves in it's crystal state would not set when made up.
    Now, I don't know if this applies to MDF but it is worth considering given the price of the 'paper' (if this is what it is called} and the detrimental effect it 'may' have.
    I know no one has mentioned either of these materials but just in case it was a consideration in the future it would probably warrant some research.
    Neil, if the wood is hydroscopic (wow, it's only 8.00am and I got that one out) what is the chance that the cotton based paper is too?
    Stupidity kills. Absolute stupidity kills absolutely.