Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Default Blade length again.

A recent thread raised a lot of complaints about bandsaw blade length. I have a 14inch Leda bandsaw, which I think is pretty much the same machine as the Carba-Tec CTJ 3501. When the original blade blunted, which didn't take long, I ordered a couple more to the length specified in the manual. They were at least 100mm too short. My fault for being trusting, and so I measured the original and ordered a couple of blades that length and all was fine. Then I ordered two more from the same local blade shop and one of them was 30mm too short. I pointed this out and got a free replacement included with my next order of three blades, but two of these were below spec too short to get onto my machine.
    This seems to be a common problem, why?
    My machine can be adjusted a bit for length of blade. The tensioning screw has a small collar which is tightened onto it with an Allen screw. Moving the collar up and down affects the distance at which the top wheel begins to take tension. But the elongated slot in the upper frame only allows about 10mm of this kind of adjustment, which doubled could account for 20mm variation in blade length.
    I have now switched to Carba-Tech for supply of blades, but they have been out of stock now for 3 weeks since my order. I hope that when the blades come they are close to the specified length. Should I start making my own blades I wonder?

You are in Adelaide and have a Leda machine. Did you buy the replacement blade from Leda? Not knowing any better, I did and it worked fine. If you did not, and still are not as you are now buying from Carba-Tech, is there something I should know before I buy the next one? Thanks.

Find a better blade supplier - one that can use a tape measure.

I currently use:
    C & S Saw Service
    17 Stewart St Mt Waverley
    VIC 3149
    ph: (03) 9802 1040

They post anywhere in Oz, so it doesn't matter that they are in Vic.

I've also used Henry Bros in NSW

Think from memory that Henry Bros got a bandsaw blade length wrong once, but replaced it immediately when notified.
    "Clear, Ease Springs"
    www.Stu's Shed.com

There is quite a few happy customers on this forum that use C & S
    Cheers

DJ

ADMIN

Calm is offline Stubby Owner and proud of it. Now coming back to Earth.:D

Quote Originally Posted by DJ's Timber View Post

There is quite a few happy customers on this forum that use C & S
    Same from me, they are very good.

To get the length place a blade that fits on the floor, mark the floor and the blade then roll the blade along the floor until the mark touchs the floor again, mark this spot and measure between the two marks on the floor. That is the measurement that you give C&S.

If you ring them and tell them what you are doing then they will recommend the blade for it.
    regards

David

"Tell him he's dreamin."
    "How's the serenity" (from "The Castle")

Thanks everyone for your advice about C & S a reliable supplier of bandsaw blades. I shall try them.

Frank and Ernest, when I bought my Leda bandsaw in Adelaide they did not supply blades. Obviously they have now started to, thanks for the info.

I have no problems with Leda, in fact I think they are good to deal with. A couple of problems once with a belt sander that tripped my power safety gadget, but they fixed that.

Good luck with your bandsaw, is it the 14 inch like mine?

another C&S happy customer.

www.carlweiss.com.au
    Mobile Sawmilling & Logging Service
    8" & 10" Lucas Mills, bobcat, 4wd tractor, 12 ton dozer, stihl saws.