Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Default Filling walnut voids - sequence?

Hi all,

I知 making a chess board using maple and walnut, and am about to start finishing. I have a few voids in the walnut, and was initially going to leave them as is, for a more rustic finish. But, I decided I壇 like to create a more glassy, polished look to the finish, so I知 planning to fill the voids with either CA glue or lacquer, and finish with lacquer. Pictures are below.

My question is: what would be the optimal sequence? Ideally, I壇 like to just use the lacquer to fill the gaps (which look kind of like a brown peapod cut along its length. But, to get the really smooth finish I知 looking for, I知 planning to use a grain filler such as jasco. I知 guessing that the grain filler would get in the holes, and make a big mess?

In that case, should I try to fill them with CA glue BEFORE using the grain filler? I知 a little concerned about the CA glue staining the walnut.

Dropbox - IMG_20111216_153905.jpg
    Dropbox - IMG_20111216_153851.jpg
    Dropbox - IMG_20111216_153920.jpg

p.s. anyone know what these voids are called, or what causes them?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Regards,

Lee

Nice looking board Great job! I assume you have some offcuts, so practice your finish on those before committing to the board, would be a shame to wreck it.
    I'm guessing the voids are areas where sap has accumulated then dried, possibly from damage to the tree as it was growing.
    Banksia pod turning: Lamps | Goblet tealights | Winged bowl