Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Default Bathroom floor tiling question?

I will very soon be screeding the floor of the bathroom with about 30mm of screed. The shower is in the corner and will be set down about 20mm below the main floor. I have been advised to use 13mm x 8mm angle placed on top of the main floor screed at the shower set down.

Questions?
    1. Does it really matter if you screed the mian floor first and leave the shower area to last?
    2. Using small angle on top of the main floor screed will mean that you see the end of the screed under the shower screen will it not? How do you hide this?
    3. I had considered using a larger brass angle (25mm x 25 mm) and half burying it in the screed thinking this would provide a brass edge below the screen inside the shower. Is this idea workable?

Cheers
    Juan

"If the enemy is in range, so are you."

Hi Juan - I would put the angle section on the floor and not on the scree. To me it doesnt make sense to put it on the scree becuase not only will you see the edge of the scree in places - but you will also get moisture wicking out from the shower via the scree. The angle technique should form an impermable barrier and a decorative edge and be waterproofed to the floor (if you are putting the wproof membrane on the floor).

I dont think it matters what order you scree the various in.

Your original idea about the larger angle seems the best course of action to me.

why do u want the shower section to be lower? If you are using a shower screen there is not really any purpose. Where do u plan to have the shr screen? on the high side? if so, that means that the glass is outside the membrane. If the screen sits over the 2 dif height floors the bottom track will be very wobbly unless it has a mountain of silicone under it which will look very messy. hat sort of shr screen are u using? fully framed, semi frameless, contour/ profile type screen(wall,bottom and top tracks only) or 10mm fully frameless. If u give me a bit more info id be glad to help out.

Default Shower tiling

why do u want the shower section to be lower? If you are using a shower screen there is not really any purpose.
    I am no expert but I think you will find having a set down is the most common method of tiling showers on concrete slabs. It is possible to build a hob but that is more work, reduces the size of my shower floor area, restricts access a bit and seems like a trip hazard to me. I had also considered the stainless steel floor grate across the door opening as a drain but decided against it.

Where do u plan to have the shr screen? on the high side?
    Yes, on the high (main floor) side. The screen will be measured and made after I finish the tiling. I believe it will sit level with the edge of the main floor tile brass angle.

If the screen sits over the 2 dif height floors the bottom track will be very wobbly unless it has a mountain of silicone under it which will look very messy.
    It will have no track just a swing door. I plan on a frameless shower screen in 10mm Iron free glass. However after talking to a supplier today who asked me if I was aware they let water through the door gaps I am not so sure.

I have taken Doog's advice and purchased 25mm brass angle which I will fit to the outside of the set down and this will provide a 'wall' on the inside of the setdown to give it a finished look (I hope).
    Juan

Hi Juan - a little bit of water splashes out through the 5 mm gap either side of the door - easy for a bath mat to absorb. If you point the showerhead straight at the gap between the door and let it run you might make a bigger mess.

What is this "iron free" glass? Havent heard that before!

Default Shower screen

I was told it is clearer and does not have a tinge to it like the standard glass. It seems the tinge really is only an issue if you have very light coloured wall tiles otherwise you cannot see much difference. That is what the salesman told me. I will follow up on the glass sage when I get the floor tiling done.
    Juan

Default Tiling after screeding

How long does one need to leave a screeded floor to cure before tiling or waterproofing?

Should I cover the screed with plastic to aid curing and prevent cracking etc?
    Juan

Hi Juan - have been thinking about your angle section under the shower peremmiter - doesn't it have to be larger than 25 x 25. I've done a quick drawing to show how I would have set an angle piece (directly into the waterproofing memebrane. You must be thinking of doing something different.

SCree might take 2 days to really crack off - if the weather is real hot and dry like SA gets in summer - maybe cover with plastic or damp towels.

Default Angle at shower

Hi Doog

Thanks for the sketch.

I intend to screed first then waterproof over the screed and up the wall to the existing waterproofing.
    This was the recommended method by Ardex Australia tech support. They said it does not matter which comes first. In commercial applications they recommend membrane then screed as tradies walking all over the membrane will punch holes in it before the tiling is done. But in a residential situation where this should be easily avoided then screed first then the membrane is the best option.

I will need to go overboard on sealing the area around the brass angle.

I have trimmed the angle down with my angle grinder so it is now 25mm by about 10mm and sits 20mm above the main floor. The screed for the main floor will go over and under the 10mm protrusion and finish about 10mm below the top or the angle to allow a tile, membrane and adhesive. This is really flying by the seat of your pants learn as you go technology.
    Long as I get the whole area waterproofed 100% it should fly.

Attachment 64965
    Juan