Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Default Repolishing Timber Floor

I have hardwood floors throughout my place which were obviously polished up a few years ago now. They are still pretty nice but a bit worn in busy areas with some superficial scuffs and scratches in the finish. I need to know how to refinsh them so they look newly polished

The old finish is a clear coat varnish type and the boards aren't damaged at all, just some general wear in the clear coat. Do I just give it a light sand, good clean and recoat with something? What kind of weight sand paper? Any recommended products?

Thx all

Default repolishing wooden floor

My parquetry floor was put down and varnished 14 years ago and hasn't been touched until a month ago. Parts of heavy traffic areas were beginning to lose its shine and I called someone in to advise and quote for a possible re-sand and varnish. He advised I use a product by Bona X called "Care - Refresher" a wooden floor care system in litre bottles, a British product. You mop it on and it dries in about an hour and re-coat after 2 hours. In the kitchen area we re-coated x 3 and the floor looks as good as new. Very impressed with the product, cheap too. I going to make sure I re-coat at least once a year from now on.

Larry

googled it and it sounds like a good product. Where did you get it? Did you diy?

I just need to know where I can personally get some

Default Repolishing Timber Floor

I got it from http://www.bjevans.com.au/products.html , 6th line down 'Bona" in Perth, I'd imagine most timber flooring suppliers would know of the product. Wise to test your floor first in an inconspicious place in case it reacts and another tip if you use it, don't vigorously shake the bottle immediately prior to using, just tilt slowly back and forwards in case any bubbles are transferred to your surface and it's sometimes hard to see when you're using it as it's so shiny when applying. I did it myself, dead easy.

Larry

Great thanks I'll be doing this in a month or two so I'll post before and after photos when I do

Before going ahead with this, has anyone thought about whether this particular water-based product (Bona) is compatible with whatever is on the floor already.

Is the current finish a solvent base? A turps base? Or water base?

If things go belly up, will the company supplying this top-coat stand by it's product if you put it over another brand of coating?

Just a short list of some of the things that need to be thought about.

Quote Originally Posted by Dusty View Post
    Before going ahead with this, has anyone thought about whether this particular water-based product (Bona) is compatible with whatever is on the floor already.
    Is the current finish a solvent base? A turps base? Or water base?
    I did advise in an earlier post to test the product on an inconspicious part of floor first in case it reacts.

Larry