Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default The quintessential tool/machinery?

G'day,

I'm about to realise my long yearn for what is one of the last pieces of major machinery that I'll be adding to my shed. So, it got me thinking, what is the embodiment of happiness, the one tool or piece of machinery that once you have it you are at last satisifed.

I have many, one of which are endless varieties of handplanes, but they are many and not a singular one item, although I can name one particular hand plane. They also fall into the category of indulgance, because they are beautiful and working with them (albeit my skill is sadly lacking at this point in my life) is a reason to escape into sometghing and to take your time creating something which you hope will be of something of beauty, but I digress, Ok they fall into something I'd love, but there are also many other things too, so what is yours?

I make things, I just take a long time.

www.brandhouse.net.au

Have to be my caulking irons and other shipwright tools, maul, brades No2 adze, wisps, mallets. Mainly because the stuff is so rare. Can't just duck off to mitre 10 and replace it, not this stuff. I guard it with my life, it's my bread and butter basically. I really respect this gear and hold in high regard the fellas who taught me how too use it.

I dunno.

I guess when I get something, and I know that the first time I use it, it was worth the money and that I could not get any better for whatever more money I might have spent.

Including, but not limited to...

My good router. A Makita RP0910. Smooth, quiet and deadly accurate. For smaller work, I could not better it. Also came with a vacuum that goes with the router perfectly.

My thickness planer, another Makita. I could buy bigger, I could buy more features, I could have bought cheaper. The thing doesn't complain, doesn't do anything untoward, oozes quality and makes me happy every time I fire it up and I never have cause to yell at it. A good sign around these parts.

The better planes I have. The new addition Bedrock #6, the new homebrew jointer, the tweaked #4 and the Veritas block plane. All work every - darn - time without dramas.

I just got my first Shapton waterstone. First word I said after using it was four letters long. Just amazing how good it is.

I also just got a digital vernier cheap. A good one, but cheap. I always reach for it, and I have 2 verniers, a good micrometer and various other measuring doohickeys. It gets used often because it's just nice to use. I shouldn't include it since it's not perfect, but I do love to be able to creep up on my joint sizes, 0.01mm at a time.

There are many things I need to get, but the price of admission here is normally horrendous, so I am too often forced to make do without or with something substandard. When I get quality, it makes life nice and happy.

It doesn't need to be expensive, just that it works like it says on the tin, every time.

That's enough for me.

(So, what are you getting???)

My shed. The fittings and accoutrements may change over time, but I refuse to ever be without a shed again.

Not a machine, you say? Oh, yes it is; it's function is to provide an environment in which other machines can safely operate. Mine certainly has more fixed wiring, pneumatic lines & duct runs than any other machine I own, if not as many moving parts...

No matter what machines I've bought, before or since, none gave me anything like the satisfaction or sense of completion that I felt on the first day that roof was overhead.
    I may be weird, but I'm saving up to become eccentric.

- Andy Mc

.. a well tuned precise Panel Saw would have to be my quintessential machine, preferably Altendorf.
    for me it is the most used machine.

just wish I had the space for one.
    I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones.
    Albert Einstein

I doubt any of us will confess to there being such an item. There is always going to be one more thing that will be the last and most magnificent essential.... the perfect "thang". After the spindle moulder it will be a chain mortiser or something... The first woodworking machine I bought was a 20" McCulloch chainsaw... well, you know.... sort of woodworking. It still runs like new and has to be up there with the best of the best. The acquisition of fine (big, noisy, perfect) tools has no logical end.

Chris,

To answer your question (if there is an answer) comes back to why you want tools.

The purist tool junky buys them for what they are and not what they can do. At the other end of the scale, there are woodworkers who want tools for what they can create.

For a tool junky, the more they have the more they want.

For the people at the other end of the scale, a new tool could be seen as an opportunity to create something previously not possible for them. Once this achievement has been reached, their minds are exposed to new possibilities but possibly conditional on having access to more tools.

My conclusion - tools junkies limit their collection by their budget and others limit their tool collections by both their budgets and imaginations.
    - Wood Borer

Quote Originally Posted by MurrayD99 View Post
    I doubt any of us will confess to there being such an item.

Their is just one such item Murry

What about the Swiss Army Work Bench. Sliced, Dices and tells the time.

I am happy with what I have at the moment. I do not anything urgently.

I will eventually buy a disc sander or a drum sander. I might even own a Domino if I manage to find one fell off the back of a truck.

Another LV plane or 3 wouldn’t hurt either.
    Visit my website at www.myFineWoodWork.com

It is the pleasure derived from using good gear and getting a great result isn't it. This pushes us towards upgrading multi-machines to dedicated... make-do process to the right tool. My dad had good gear and it was always a pleasure to make something in his shop because the cut was square and the edge was flat and the compressor didn't struggle to deliver enough air. Once you've done it right, it's tough making compromises and stuffing up timber. I wouldn't buy something I'd never use... well, I might buy a four-sider if the right one came along looking for a good home... and I'd probably never use it. Nah... there is no logical end to it. Just a $$$ constraint.

Dang! Lignum beat me to the obvious. It really is one of those machines/things that constantly make you shake your head with a smile and think 'Damn , that is good!'

The type 11 #7C is a bit like that. Little 7 1/4 Makita saw. #65. 6" Starret Double Square. My '75 Kombi Westfalia. I digress.

Top of my list is a large, quiet, accurate, powerful tablesaw, that just happens to be whitey coloured, with black writing onnit. My old tilt-table 8" can then go on 'buy and sell'. Birthday in April.
    The only way to get rid of a [Domino] temptation is to yield to it. Oscar Wilde

.....so go4it people!

Sawbench then a very close 2nd is my thicknesser
    Regards, Bob Thomas

www.wombatsawmill.com

Quote Originally Posted by echnidna View Post
    Sawbench then a very close 2nd is my thicknesser
    Quite so... and the jointer... but what is next? Someone posted some pictures of a Grizzly outlet in Missouri (I think)... that was a cruel and unusual punishment for us downunder. All that gear!

65mm japanese chisel.