Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Jasmin’s bedside table

One day Jasmin came to the garage and asked if I could build her a bedside table. And how could I say no to such a lovely little lady so its time to go to work. In the past I could easily make one with MDF, paint it purple and no worries she will love it. Now I just can’t do that stuff anymore. (not that’s anything wrong with it). Also Jasmin wont be a little girl forever so this one is made to last.

I didn’t want to buy more timber than I had to so the design was depended on what I had and their sizes. I kind of made it up as I went along. It is made from blackbutt, Tas blackwood, Tas myrtle and some “Bunnings Tas Oak”

The Tas Oak dovetails are a bit hard to cut. There are so many of them and the wood is so hard to chisel.

I wanted to do something different with the handles. It was a bit of an experiment really. I use some off-cut tas myrtle cut them on a bandsaw. I hope you don’t find it too arty farty.

The door panel is a bugger to make. Fitting the panel to the frame is so tricky. It is hard to get bevel angle and the depth of cut right. I reckon the degree of difficulty is right up there in the same category as finding an undie that fits you best. It needs to be tight enough to hold the panel in place but also loose enough to let it move around. I did have a hard time doing it but lets put it down to lack of experience.

Thank goodness for the LV LA block plane, shoulder plane and smooth plane. Fitting the door and the drawer was made a lot easier. Fit, trim, fit again and trim again…

To finish it off I used 2 coats of minwax wipe-on poly.
    Visit my website at www.myFineWoodWork.com

Excellent work there Wongo. Jasmin is one lucky girl.
    Photo Gallery

Thumbs up Nice one

Hi Wongo,

Jasmine should be very pleased with what dad has made for her and it will be around for a long time, Good one mate, very nice

Regards Mike

ss_11000 is offline You've got to risk it to get the biscuit

nice one wongo.....the dovetails look great...hope jasmin enjoys
    S T I R L O

Just the usual high standard - wouldn't expect anything else! Good one
    Wongo.
    Updated 8th of February 2024

Quote Originally Posted by Wongo
    One day Jasmin came to the garage and asked if I could build her a bedside table. And how could I say no to such a lovely little lady so its time to go to work. In the past I could easily make one with MDF, paint it purple and no worries she will love it. Now I just can’t do that stuff anymore. (not that’s anything wrong with it). Also Jasmin wont be a little girl forever so this one is made to last.

I didn’t want to buy more timber than I had to so the design was depended on what I had and their sizes. I kind of made it up as I went along. It is made from blackbutt, Tas blackwood, Tas myrtle and some “Bunnings Tas Oak”

The Tas Oak dovetails are a bit hard to cut. There are so many of them and the wood is so hard to chisel.

I wanted to do something different with the handles. It was a bit of an experiment really. I use some off-cut tas myrtle cut them on a bandsaw. I hope you don’t find it too arty farty.

The door panel is a bugger to make. Fitting the panel to the frame is so tricky. It is hard to get bevel angle and the depth of cut right. I reckon the degree of difficulty is right up there in the same category as finding an undie that fits you best. It needs to be tight enough to hold the panel in place but also loose enough to let it move around. I did have a hard time doing it but lets put it down to lack of experience.

Thank goodness for the LV LA block plane, shoulder plane and smooth plane. Fitting the door and the drawer was made a lot easier. Fit, trim, fit again and trim again…

To finish it off I used 2 coats of minwax wipe-on poly.

Great work! Very nice dovetails you got there.

Beautiful work Wongo!!!!
    Thats one lucky little girl!
    Have a nice day - Cheers

Very nice Wong, she'll be remembering you every time she looks at it in the future.

Wongo, I like the arty farty handles!

Cheers
    Dan

Great table Wongo - I like all those D/Ts

Good work Scott, it looks like she already appreciates it and will do more so in the future.
    - Wood Borer

Thumbs up

Beautiful work Wongo. I love how the dovetails are such a stunning feature!.

Jasmine looks like she's having the best time fitting out her new beside table.

Cheers
    Wendy

not bad mate ( a bit of sanding and it'll be sweet)
    Zed

Very nice piece and I think that the handles look good - arty farty is great when it is subtle .

Just don't show the pictures to SWMBO or there will be another job to do before I can get on with things I want for myself!
    Cheers

Jeremy
    If it were done when 'tis done, then 'twere well it were done quickly