Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Question Huge logs, advice pls

Hi all,
    Im new to this blog, pls excuse any errors.
    I have a holding in the NSW high country, high rainfall zone on W side of the divide at about 1000m. altitude. Intermontane forest, that was logged over ages ago, leaving the not wanted species like Manna gum in the conservation zones, some of which are now huge. The main species native to the area is Mountain Gum, some of which are re establishing.
    Much of the land is planted to radiata, about 20 years ago, but there are fallen logs which were not burnt in windrows which are interesting. One for example I climbed on yesterday, is about six or seven feet diameter (2 metres plus) at the base and not much less than that 20 metres further along. Dead straight. The base is above ground as is supported by the roots still in the ground. The other end is covered by blackberries. The most amazing thing is that this would likely have been on its side since 1989 and it still has the grey mottled bark on it, with negligible rot and no sign of deterioration. There are a number more like this, all in windrows in a sheltered little valley near a roaring stream.
    My initial suspicion is that it is ironbark, a category one wood?
    Does old wood like this have any value/ It amy be very hard to cut, as it is obviously dry and seasoned.
    OS money is coming in in waves buying up the timber plantation land, but they are interested only in the radiata. I have one such offer. But I think there is more to it than radiata, if one is wise and is into constructive conservation.
    Any ideas what wood could survive like this? What to do with it?.
    There trees are very straight and large.

Quote Originally Posted by hightrax View Post
    Hi all,
    Does old wood like this have any value/ It amy be very hard to cut, as it is obviously dry and seasoned.
    Only since 1989? You might be surprised!

it isn't dry and certainly isn't seasoned (1989?) but yes it does have some value

Nah, Hightrax, it's worthless, the lot if it - especially the straight stuff. Send it my way, I'll sacrifice my Lucas over it for the betterment of all mankind

Seriously though, as mentioned, it won't be close to seasoned, you maybe lucky to find around 4" deep is almost dry, but much deeper than that and she'll still be green.

And yep it is worth something; In my mind, around $80-$120 per log cube and around $1,300 per sawn cube and up to $4,000 per cube slabbed. You choose what you think is the better way to sell it....
    I love my Lucas!! ...just ask me!
    Allan.