Thread: Tabletop gaps

Default Tabletop gaps

I made a table about 20 years ago, the top is four pieces of hardwood I picked from a site rubbish pile. There were always gaps between the boards (from about 1 to 10mm) and I've never had complete success filling them and sealing rhe table. Its always been a very utilitarian table, cutting up food etc on it, so I probably can't seal the whole table top, but I would like to be able to fill the gaps between the planks in a more permanent way. Thanks very much.

gday go to local hardware buy some DAR kdhw 12mmx20mm if you have a router some clamps and a straight edge an easy way to fix gaps is to clamp a straight edge to table rout out a strip between the boards then glue the strips of timber into gaps do the rout in three or four passes and leave strip proud by 0.5mm then take down with scraper
    Some people are like slinkies - not really good for anything, but they
    bring a smile to your face when pushed down the stairs .

With gaps as big as 10mm, I think fubar has the most permanent solution.

Filling with resin will work, but you may need to do it in a few applications.

The only problem with resin is, I am led to believe, that the sunlight makes it go yellow and eventually crack.

Quote Originally Posted by jgb7 View Post
    The only problem with resin is, I am led to believe, that the sunlight makes it go yellow and eventually crack.
    If you put a sprinkle of black oxide in to colour it, the colour does not change over time. I use it to fill gum veins in Jarrah, as many other would, and have had pieces for over 10 years with no change in colour, no shrikage and no cracking around the edges.