Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default She wants a doll's house this time!

After receiving a huge birthday present last year, my almost 3 yr old daughter said to me yesterday “Daddy, I want a doll house, ah, ah.. birthday”.

How could say no to her. She has always been very well behaved lovely good beautiful little girl and she deserves it (believe me I don’t spoil my child). I just hope that she won’t ask for a real pony next year. Oh well lets get busy then.

Do you have any experience to share?
    Last edited by Wongo; 28th June 2004 at 05:23 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Ahh well you see, 21 years after my middle daughter's third "birfday", she said "Daddy, can we have our wedding at your house?"

It happened last Saturday...Rocking horses turn into Doll's houses which turn into real houses...it never stops!!!!

But life with daughters is pretty darned wonderful no matter what "they" say!!

On the doll's house, when the girls were more or less that age, (5,3,going on 1) my dad made a doll's house for them, which was a bit like a bookshelf with a gable roof, complete with flag on the peak. Each shelf had bits of old tiles and carpet, scraps of wallpaper and stuff. There were bits of trimming, an old spice rack that did a passable imitation of a balustrade, all painted in whatever was left over around the place. It looked like a dog's breakfast to us grown-ups...but to the kids it was anything they wanted it to be. The best part about it was that it was also a great place to store all their junk!

The less detail, and more room for imagination the better...don't make this one the Victorian classic....

If you need more description I'll sketch it for you!

Post Thanks / Like

Having just finished (apart from the carpet) one for my 3yo I would make the following suggestions.

If you let them pick the paint colours get used to it looking strange (exterior - pink walls and purple roof)
    Squaring off icey pole sticks and gluing them down, sanding and varnishing makes for an amazing polished floorboard look - but it is a massive pain in the ****.
    If you have room make it to a 1:6 scale, this is BIG but all the barbie doll furniture sets are in this scale, they are cheap, available and amazingly detailed. You also don't have to buy a new set of dolls etc.
    Quad molding (concave) used as cornices looks good and helps hold the ceiling up.
    Quad molding (triangular) cut to length and glued to a backing board makes easy stairs.
    Don't bother with stair rails they just get in the way.
    Rooms to include (there are never enough) - kitchen, bed room, lounge room, nursery minimum. - get the furniture set first and see howmuch room they take up - (I made them 400 deep and 500 wide, and it is crowded!)

I'll post pics soon.
    Great minds discuss ideas,
    average minds discuss events,
    small minds discuss people

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with Biting Midge. Go for robust but simple. Nothing worse than having a toy which you have to be "careful" of. If you want to make a heirloom house wait till she's 8 or 9 and a bit more responsible. My sisters and I spent many happy hours playing with an inherited dolls house. I cringe now at what we did to it. It had a front panel which lifted off with windows and front door . It had light shades with torch bulbs powered by batteries so you could have the front on and see lights behind the curtains.

The only thing you seriously have to think about is sizing the rooms for the furniture and the dolls which are going to go in it.

You can buy heaps of different dolls house furniture ( and pay heaps for it too ) or you and she can make simple stuff together out of blocks of wood, yoghurt pots etc . If she hasn't already got any small dolls ( and at that age she might not yet have any because of the choking hazzard ) I suggest you go out and buy a small family ( mummy, daddy, little girl, baby ... or if you're feeling particularly liberal mummy, mummy ..... etc ) and tell one of your relatives that's what they've bought her for her birthday and size your house accordingly. Its very frustrating if you can't get your dolls into the house.
    no-one said on their death bed I wish I spent more time in the office!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bitingmidge
    Ahh well you see, 21 years after my middle daughter's third "birfday", she said "Daddy, can we have our wedding at your house?"

It happened last Saturday...!
    Ahhum, where are the invites?
    I told you not to post them!! :mad:

Al

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ozwinner
    Ahhum, where are the invites?
    I told you not to post them!! :mad:

Al
    I wondered why you weren't there :eek: !

I'll email you a slice of wedding cake!

P

Post Thanks / Like

Send me a piccy.

I hope all went well.
    Even without me there.

Al

Post Thanks / Like

Wongo, what sort of father are you?! Surely at that age you should be buying her first tools!
    Visit my website
    Website
    Facebook

Post Thanks / Like

surely at that age you should be buying her first tools!
    Sorry, doesn't work!

We were determined to "neutrally blueprint" our first born. Every time she was given a doll, she was also given a truck. A bracelet, a spanner....and so on.

At about two years of age she came into our bedroom nursing a football wrapped in a bunny rug.

Our views on gender imprinting moderated after that!

P

Post Thanks / Like

You.....did take some piccys......didnt you.?

Al

Post Thanks / Like

Oh Oz, you're such a softie...here's a shot of me helping her out of the car just outside the church.

P

Post Thanks / Like

Owhh dad.

From what I can see, she has eyes full of love, good one P.

Al

Post Thanks / Like

I bet she is better looking than her old man.

Post Thanks / Like

Midge, old mate, you'r abetter man than me.
    My baby has a sleep over boyfriend whom she is madly in love with, even if I can't understand why. He can make her laugh when the rest of the world sh#ts her to tears, Christ knows why. She was the son I always wished I had. (I have two sons by the way) The photo of her, two years old, paintbrush and bucket of water in hand, helping me when no one else gave a damn, still melts my heart after all these years.
    To lose her to someone else is killing me.
    Tears
    Jim
    Cheers
    Jim

"I see dumb peope!"

Post Thanks / Like

Gees Jim, let go.

There comes a time to let them go, I wish mine would go , nah only kidding.
    Mine has a sleep over friend too, some nights I hear them, I must insulate this wall one day. :eek: :eek:

Al