Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Glueing Polypropylene

Are there any adhesives that glue polypropylene and polyethylene?

Most (all?) of the plastic glues I've seen exclude PP and PE. Is it not possible to properly glue these?

I've been trying to make a jig out of a cheap PE tub I bought. So I cut the tub up and want to glue different bits and pieces to it. But none of the glues adhere.

Since it is thermoplastic, is my best bet to melt it? Or use physical fasteners? Or is there a glue that does work?

Buy some glue that they use to glue surrounds to speaker cones(polyproplene), Soundman may know a bit about this PM him, wouldnt suprise me if he's done some re-coning on PA gear before.

Default Bugger of stuff

John

We did a uni project last year with pp with the main reason that it could not be glued.
    Still some of the kids did try and glue it and some of them did have success until the product was flexed a few times.
    Me i had good success with using tags and then welding with the soldering iron.
    Ended up making a fortuine cookie server.

I did a google and found these sites and also a mention to using adhesive tape:
    http://www.3m.com/us/mfg_industrial/.../t_index.jhtml
    http://miniatures.de/html/int/pattex...-fluessig.html
    They laughed when I said I was going to be a comedian. They're not laughing now.
    Bob Monkhouse

I don't know what they glue surrounds on to poly bass drivers with, but the edges of the cones seem to have some sort of treatment.

Polyprop' is one of "those" plastics. The things that make it a good material can make it a pain in the kneck.

Velcro have recently released a special grade of adhesive available on the back of their product that is specificaly designed for "those" plastics because the normal formulars don't hold.

ROSCO the theatrical lighting people have a glue for working with theatrical filters that are polyester based it might work.

mechanical fasteners or heat seem to be the fasteners of choice.

I spoke to a bloke that laminated polyprop (and other things) to wood with no glue, just heated the surface up till it was tacky & slaped em together under very high vacume. (vacume high enough to suck thru ply)

I saw a product where they had embedded a "cloth" type stuff into the edge of one of "those" plastics with heat so that adhesives could be used.
    Have you tried superglue.

:eek: Thaught comes.
    Clipsal have a extreem duty conduit to replace metal, Its made of one of "those" plastics & there is a glue for it.

The problem with "those" plastics is that they are resistant to many solvents. This makes solvent gluing a real poser.

BTW if you need to glue normal conduit to black funky conduit.
    Apply the appropriate glue to eash product & jam em toghther. It seems to work.

Good luck.
    cheers
    Any thing with sharp teeth eats meat.
    Most powertools have sharp teeth.
    People are made of meat.
    Abrasives can be just as dangerous as a blade.....and 10 times more painfull.

Soundman is on the right track with his comments....heres what I found on the web:
    Off the web

"It should be noted that some plastics such as polypropylene and polyethylene are designed to be resistant to chemicals. These plastics that are not dissolved by chemicals cannot be glued and to join them they need to be hot-air welded. PVC will glue, but in most cases a stronger joint will be achieved by hot-air welding. Plastics that can be dissolved by a chemical are generally glue able. Most engineering plastics cannot be glued with solvent adhesives, although a contact adhesive or silicone may be acceptable for your application."
    Whatever note you blow youre never more than a semitone away from the correct one....(Miles Davis)

Contact would work to a certain extend. Silicone and hotmelt should work OK especially if the surface is grazed with a bit of sandpaper ( hard work ) or using a hacksaw blade like a drawfile. Those glues work best when they are spread over a big surface. Squeeze the glue out between the two surfaces.

Super glue seems to glue plastics OK especially when it is the cap on the superglue bottle!

The thermoplastics are best welded together by heat BUT beware the vapours that are generated are toxic, especially PVC...........have good ventilation.

Plastics material properties charts report that Polyprpoylene is soluble in methyl ethyl ketone, methyl chloride, amyl acetate, toluene and chloroform to mention a few. Try softening the surfaces with solvent and clamp together.

I think polystyrene behaves the same. I have sertainly used chloroform to glue it.

Looking at my spelling of Polyprpoylene. My dyslexia coming through again - getting my turds wisted again.

Plastic hot air welding guns are very similar to hot air paint stripping guns and you should be able to weld pp with one.
    Regards, Bob Thomas

www.wombatsawmill.com

Polystyrene behaves very diferently to Polyprpoylene.
    Just about any solvent will melt styrene.
    Any thing with sharp teeth eats meat.
    Most powertools have sharp teeth.
    People are made of meat.
    Abrasives can be just as dangerous as a blade.....and 10 times more painfull.

A glue made by/for model railway supplier Walther's - known strangely enough as 'Walther's Goo" will glue Delrin & similar slippery plastics - it is a solvent based contact or 'rubber cement'. They have a site - www.walthers.com.

Check out this site
    http://www.thistothat.com/
    Visit my website
    Website
    Facebook

Thumbs up PP Adhesive

Try Scotch-Weld DP8010 by 3M...

This would be the product you require http://www.pascofix.com/index.htm
    Station-rat