Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  1
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  1

Default 60 year old spindle moulder

Good day forum members.
    I have been offered a very old, but functional spindle moulder. To call this thing a beast would be an understatement. It is very large and heavy. My concern is that it doesn't come with a cutting block and the spindle diameter is one and a half inches. My question is; How hard would cutter blocks and knives be to get for this moulder - or do I need to provide some more information?

1 1/2 in is pretty heavy duty . it must have come from a mill. 1 1/4 in has been standard and tooling is easy to get. Safety in cutterheads has come a long way. You might find some old tooling ,slip collers and knives with hair line fractures. I wouldn't use it. I have, I learned on the old stuff. But not now.

Good sccond hand spindles and tooling aren't hard to find.
    Last edited by Ball Peen; 3rd May 2012 at 09:55 AM. Reason: clarification
    Cheers, Bill

Quote Originally Posted by Diamond Ric T View Post
    - or do I need to provide some more information?
    Sounds like an excelent find, one I would be jumping at, and as Bill has said, tooling is not hard to find.
    It would be great to see some Pic's of your machine and have a look who the maker was, English, American Australian made maybe ?
    One of my little pastimes is that I have many Woodworking machinery catalogs and would enjoy searching for a catalog cut and some specifications on your machine, who knows we may even be able to shed some light on that uncommon spindle shaft size...

Melbourne Matty.

Quote Originally Posted by L.S.Barker1970 View Post
    One of my little pastimes is ...
    Sure, in the same sense as the Queen has a "little pastime" of ruling England

Paul.

Quote Originally Posted by pmcgee View Post
    Sure, in the same sense as the Queen has a "little pastime" of ruling England

Paul.
    Haha, Paul I'm trying to keep a low profile here..... I like long beach walks as well, sunsets, I'm great with cat's and love cooking.....lol

Melbourne Matty.

I would jump at it I am looking for something similar myself, I am afraid a router table just dosn't, cut it

I presume it is three phase and you have three phase in your workshop?
    And yeah , as MM says pics would be good.
    Also be aware that you may find some tooling for it but you will probably spend quite a few $ for the cutter profiles you want.
    A friend of mine paid $600 for an old SM a couple of years ago which I thought was too much until he showed me the $2,000 worth of cutters , collets etc that was part of the deal.

Stewie