Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Office Bah Humbug

So why is it that at Christmas time that the office powers that be, often aided and abbeted by a couple of 'bubbly' staff members, mandate a state of office joy? Overnight decorations went up here, it looks like a stoned elf threw up.

And the office party.
    Why force a group of people whos only common factor is that they spend their day eeking out a living within the same building, to get together on a social level. If they wanted to share common interests or company outside the office they would.
    I have a family and friends that I want to spend my time with.

Open your heart, spread the feeling of good will to all, make a special effort to show the ones you love and care for that you do indeed love and care for them.
    But not at the point of the bosses gun, not because you 'should', or not because you would feel guilty if you didn't, but because you want to.

Happy holiday, what ever you believe in, may the peace and love of another person touch you, and may you touch another person.

geeez am I in a weird mood ??? :confused:
    Great minds discuss ideas,
    average minds discuss events,
    small minds discuss people

Totally agree Dave, I am not going to any of the six or seven xmas parties at my place because I have no desire to spend time with most of the people I work with, I'd rather spend it with my family.

I declined one such invitation last night and put up and decorated our xmas tree with SWMBO and the kids a much more satisfying experience although admittedly not stress free.

HH.
    Always look on the bright side...

Work Christmas parties can be OK but I know what you mean about the false cheeriness etc. The company I work for are good all year around so I attend the staff functions.

If I worked for some other companies I would not participate in the annual pretence.
    - Wood Borer

I try not to miss our office Christmas party, although I'm 500km away from the office, if I can make it I do. We usually have a good time - partners are invited and the company picks up the tab. Last year we went to a restaurant and then to a pub. This year there's a rumour it might be at a resort in Bowral.

It's a small firm (two bosses, four employees) and I enjoy their company. There's no false cheeriness about it. Business as usual before, during and after. No decorations generally. They cut a bit of slack for long lunches etc. though.

In my office (where I spend my days) there'll be no decorations or office parties. I think it would be a bit sad if I sat here by myself drinking punch and trying to chat myself up.

I don't go to the organisations party. I do attend the departmental party though, mainly because it's held in office hours.

What I can't handle though is the idea of going to the wife's office party.

I mean sitting around listening to a lot of people you don't know talk shop?

I'd rather stick pins in my face.

Fortunately, the missus sees my point so I don't have to go.

She probably also figures she'd have a better time without old misery guts hanging around.

I stopped going to the company Christmas party 5 years ago when they stopped inviting partners. I understand it is very expensive to invite 500 employees and 500 partners. But family members need to be thanked for their hard work too. Who looks after the kids when you are staying back in the office?

I do enjoy our department party though. It is smaller, partners and kids are invited. It is always great to meet each other’s family members.

Interesting.

I've never considered working with people I don't get along with.

As an employer for the best part of 25 years, if I thought someone wouldn't be an assett at a Christmas Party, I'd fire 'em.

On the rare occasions (like now) when I am in someone else's employ, I wouldn't stay with the company if I couldn't enjoy a party with the people with whom I work!

Life's too short!

Cheers,

P

Problem is midge the money is too good and pays for our toys like new tools. Also in large companies you're never gonna like everyone.

HH.
    Always look on the bright side...

Have to admit I never came across "fun at parties" in the job descriptions of any of my past jobs. It's more good luck than anything else if you happen to end up working with people that you actually get along with. Imagine the cases before the tribunals if you started firing people who didn't enjoy your christmas parties

Don't get me wrong - this isn't about the people I work with. Some of my best friends are past work mate who shared a common interest. The people I work with now are good people, they work well together and they know their stuff. That makes them good colleagues but not good friends.

I do attend family days with work, zoo, circus, etc but only because my family will enjoy it.
    Great minds discuss ideas,
    average minds discuss events,
    small minds discuss people

On a related bit of Bah Humbug, got accosted with my first carol of the season this morning when I got off the train.

It was the Salvo brass band doing "Good King Wencelas"

Christmas Carols suck.

Why aren't there ever any new ones?

Boycott Xmas

xmasresistance.org
    Gordon

Christmas parties are very educational. It at these events that you get to see the real people that you work with, especially when you add a little alcohol. This can be quite funny because it gives you a lot of ammunition for the new Year!!!!

One of the most annoying office xmas things is the secret santa. For those not in the know, everyone at work is randomly allocated a colleague to buy a crappy (around $10) xmas present for. The presents are then given, usually by the boss or the social organiser, at the staff xmas party.

It makes me cringe.

Well, I guess Christmas is just like everything else in life. Some love it, some hate it, some don't care. Some go out of their way to convince everyone else that their way of looking at it is right.

It's also like a lot of other things in life in that you can make of it what you will. You can choose to ignore it. You can choose to go over the top.

A friend of ours was in the Sydney Telegraph the other day - you may have seen him. He enters the Christmas lights competition every year. He starts hanging lights in July. He asks for donations to the Make a Wish foundation when people come to see them and he raises thousands every year. They have to make his street one way for 3-4 weeks leading up to Christmas.

I choose to have a bit of fun, drink a lot, eat a lot, and buy a few things for the family. Maybe they didn't want them and will throw them away, maybe they will keep them. I don't know. I'm not going to lose sleep over it.

Just about everything you can think of these days is a marketing opportunity for someone. Births, deaths, weddings, going on holiday, coming home from holiday, starting school, finishing school. Christmas is just another one of them.