Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Default Advice regarding restaining of pine furniture

Hi all,

im after some advice.

My wife and i got some furniture made as a wedding gift, at the time we got it stained to match some floorstanding speakers i owned, they are beech coloured, (sort of orangey)

We now want to update our front room and are keen on buying oak coloured furniture, we want to keep the peices that were bought for us as well.

the furniture that was made for us is in pine, and then stained, it has no laquor or any other finish to it, how hard would it be to strip the stain off and then re stain the furniture an oak colour?

im assuming it wont be straightforward as im would be trying to make the wood lighter, would stain stripper be good enough? would i have to then sand? is it worth even bothering?

It would pay to find out exactly what your pine is finished with. I doubt it's just stain as this would have come off on clothing and most anything else that touched it. Would also matk very easily and be a dull dead flat finish depending on how well the furniture was sanded prior to application of stain.

You would do well tho find out what sort of stain it is, water, oil, spirit, etc. It most likely has some sort of finish pver it or is a stain lacquer or polyurethane with stain in it.

If this is the case you would be best to leave it alone. Depending on the Oak colour. Oak is a timber not really a colour and it can vary in colour quite dramatically. If the finish is a natural oak colour then it'll be a light cream colour and the pine will never match. Dark oak, will be a brown so you may be able to darken the pine to match, golden oak will be the same or similar to the beech so shouldn't need to do much to it.

There are so many colours called oak that you would really need to get the new stuff first and then take pics of the 2 timbers side by side for any help. Best advice I could give is if you don't really know what you're doing why don't you take it to the person who made it and ask them to match it for you.

Sorry, it's not much help but more info and/or pics is needed to come up with a reasonable answer.

Personally if it were mine and it was in good nick I'd be leaving it alone.

Cheers - Neil
    KEEP A LID ON THE GARBAGE... Report spam, scams, and inappropriate posts, PMs and Blogs.
    Use the Report icon at the bottom of all Posts, PM's and Blog entries.