Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  2
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Question Timber vanity top

Hi all

I have a piece of timber, laminated, made up of 12 x 35mmx85xx pieces of pine. It came off a lovely 1980's style bar in the loungeroom of our house!

My wife has the crazy idea that we can use this as a vanity top in our new bathroom. So I have stripped of the lacquer and now need to seal it for the bathroom.

What would be the best product to use to seal the timber to stop it from cracking? My first thought was Danish oil, but someone recommended a marine varnish.

HELP! I want this sucker to last for 10 to 15 years. I don't mind doing annual maintenance.

Thanks.....

I would think that a good polyurethane varnish would be the best bet. The poly will repel water but is more durable and scratch resistant than than most other varnishes. Marine varnish is designed for external use and has great elasticity and UV protection, but may not be as good as poly for hard wearing internal use.

I used Wattyl 7008 two pack polyurethane for our timber vanity top. Actually, its wenge veneer with natural timber edges - which is probably even more demanding then your application.

I did it in 2005 and it still looks like new. Maybe in a few more years I'll give it another coat, but currently there is no indication it will need it.

cheers
    Arron

I just took a photo of our vanity. Though I know its not the best photo I hope it shows that the top is holding up well.

I went the route of making our own vanity because of severe disenchantment with the quality of commercially made vanities - plus space is limited and I wanted to use every bit of it.

We usually dry the top down after use - though not always.

cheers
    Arron

Go for a two pack like Wattyl 2008. Had some practical experience with this. Used a lacquer and wax and had to strip it and refinish with 2008 5 years ago. Still looks good.
    Jim
    Sometimes in the daily challenges that life gives us, we miss what is really important...

Quote Originally Posted by powderpost View Post
    Wattyl 2008
    ?????

Arron