hi there- I'd love some advice on this one please. I'd like to erect a privacy screen (horizontal wooden slats on a frame) at one end of my deck. however, it's quite a windy spot so (as I'm new to all this) I'd love some advice on the structure/way it should be attached to the deck/wall.
The setup - imagine you are looking out over a deck which runs from one end of the house to another. The screen is to be fixed at the deck's left hand end (as you are looking out of the house. So there are two possible places for bolts - on one side of the screen (bolting to a brick wall on the house) and at the bottom of the screen - where bolts could be run into the joist supporting the decking.
The screen will be 1785 wide and 1860 off the top of the deck.
So, my first question is - do you think a screen this large could be supported adequately by bolts on one side and the bottom.
I imagined I would build a timber frame from 4x2s, flat side facing the deck, three verticals (one each side and one in the middle) and one horizontal at the top - though I don't know if this horizontal one should be placed on or behind the vertical 4x2s.
Each vertical could be bolted into the supporting joist (which is 270x40) - may be with a couple of bolts. And the vertical that runs along the brick could be bolted in here too. (Someone has suggested a 'dynabolt'?)
Does that sound ok? Or is there something more I should/could do?
And are there any particularly strong ways of making the joins into the joist?
And once I get that far - does anyone have any tips as to the order in which I do things in order to ensure the frame is level - would you build it OFF the wall/joist and then attach it - or construct it directly ONTO the wall/joist?
Thank you for any suggestions.
Peter

More...