Exclamation African Padauk- stopping it darkening

Hi
    I've made a grandfather clock out of african Padauk, a timber that is extremely vivid orange when first planed or sanded but gets darker on exposure until it's virtually black, even if it's left inside. I need to find a finish for it in the next couple of days... As it's a very beautiful timber i'd like to use oil or wax, but i'm worried that these won't stop it darkening. the finish i was recommended from an information line was Intergrain ultra clear, a water based interior finish with UV protection but i was told wax can't be applied over the top and i'm worried it won't bring out the grain at all... if anyone has any hints or maybe has finished african Padauk before i'd welcome any advice. Thanks.

As far as I know there is nothing you can do to stop the oxidation of wood, which is what's happening when the wood darkens. Keeping the piece out of the sun light and lots of coats of finish to seal the wood as much as possible will slow the darkening down. A water based finish will not yellow either, adding to the darkening of the wood.

Hmm, only done one piece out of it, a platter on the lathe.

Wasn't vivid orange to start with mind, but it's only darkened a bit and that's with an oil finish and six months sitting inside.

I have heard that finishes with a UV inhibitor are the go but can't speak from experience.
    Cheers, Ern

I suspect that you will have more luck holding back the tide. To quote from the master - James Krenov, "....African padouk is at first a brilliant tomato red, really a knockout colour, which those of us who know recognise as false; this African padouk will, within half a year, become the colour of muddy water! Unless you realise that such a change will occur, and include it in the future of the piece you make, then you and someone else are in for a deep disappointment."
    Bob

"If a man is after money, he's money mad; if he keeps it, he's a capitalist; if he spends it, he's a playboy; if he doesn't get it, he's a never-do-well; if he doesn't try to get it, he lacks ambition. If he gets it without working for it; he's a parasite; and if he accumulates it after a life time of hard work, people call him a fool who never got anything out of life."
    - Vic Oliver

Quote Originally Posted by davodia
    Hi
    i'd like to use oil or wax...i was recommended Intergrain ultra clear, a water based interior finish with UV protection but...i'm worried it won't bring out the grain at all
    If it's going to darken anyway you may decide to use oil or wax anyway. Oil may darken it further/quicker. If you use wax, a few coats of thin shellac under it will give you more shine.

Not familiar with the Intergrain product but if it's a gloss finish (ie not matt) then it will bring out the grain as well as wax or any other shiny finish would. However, if you are brushing the Intergrain on you are likely to see brush marks; you won't with thin shellac and wax
    Rusty

thanks for your input all, from your replies and other research the 2 main things that sound like they help are
    1) UV protection
    2) the finish being water based
    the only interior finish i found with both these qualities that i found was the intergrain ultra clear, of which i sprayed 3 coats on in the gloss. came up a treat, looks absolutely amazing. I'll try to remember to post back in a few years if this is still here as to whether it does still darken, but i'll probably forget.

Cool so far so good

about 7 months on it isn't showing any signs of darkening after 3 sprayed on coats of the intergrain ultra clear. Was very pleased with the finish, keeping the clock out of direct sunlight can't be hurting but still, the colour is the same as when i finished it nothing like what happened to unfinished pieces of wood left exposed.

cool......so...where's the pics?
    I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones.
    Albert Einstein