Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Default Wtd: Wood turner for small job

I'm looking for a wood turner thats capable of turning up a tapered piece 8" in diameter (detailed in the attachment). Material is not critical (pine is fine) as it will be used as a master for making a mold after some more machining. Anyone interested in a cash job like this, please PM me and we can discuss a price. I'm based in Geelong Vic and would prefer a local turner, but not essential (happy to pay post).

Geoff.

Question

Geoff

90.38mm????

What sort of tolerances?

0.01mm is not really feasible on a wood lathe.

I'm interested in a challenge.

Cheers

Tim
    Some days I turns thisaway, somedays I turns thataway and other days I don't give a stuff so I don't turn at all.

Tim your quite right, i've adjusted the design somewhat and added my best estimate of required tolerances. Its designed to fit into a section of aluminium tube (8 inches in diameter with a 3mm wall thickness) and needs to be a 'tight fit'. At my best guess 0.5mm acuracy would be fine and as I'll be preparing the surface finish on it anyway, I can addapt it to fit the pipe I have. I'm liasing with a local turner here in Geelong at the moment, so I'll see what he thinks first.

Hi,
    Be aware that this will not stay truly round for any length of time.
    Namely the next change in weather will cause shrinkage accross the grain but not along it making it oval.
    If this is critical it needs to be built up from segments or turned from 'muck' such as MDF or HD3.
    If you want it accurate to .1mm try your local Patternmaker.

H.