Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Thread: Vitriol acid

Question Vitriol acid

Questions for Neil – re: vitriol

Is there any specific quality/percent/mole sulphuric acid solution you should use (before dilution with water) ?

Second question - is a vitriol surface the same as a french polished surface in that alcohol will attack it, or does the final vitirol process afford more protection ?

Regards,
    Mark

Angry

What, isn't anyone else allowed to answer?

Bet that makes you feel special Neil or is that big headed.... heheh.

Well, you asked for Neil, so you can wait for Neil......Simple question though.

Mwahahahah.....

Cheers!

Yes Shane. Neil, a renowned master finisher and author of "published" works .....

My apologies, I guess I'll have to wait.

No I won't do it. Too much sucking up in that last post.

I prefer to pass this one on to my young lernerd friend and master polisher (or he wouldn't be moderator of this forum) Shane.

It's over to you Shane. Hehehehehe....

Cheers - from Bighead the Special
    KEEP A LID ON THE GARBAGE... Report spam, scams, and inappropriate posts, PMs and Blogs.
    Use the Report icon at the bottom of all Posts, PM's and Blog entries.

Great Neil, put me on the spot.... You watch, now I will get it all wrong & my creditibility will be lost. I might even have to give back my awards for polishing... Nah, I wouldn't let em have them back....heheh

Seriously though, its been a long time since I had anything to do with vitriol acid, so be kind with me if I get it wrong.

Lets face it Vitriol is just a fancy name for sulphuric acid.

Is there any specific quantity to use? Probably not a specific amount, but from memory we used the mix of 500ml of distilled water mixed with one teaspoon of commercial sulphuric acid. It depends though, as the strength of acid may vary.

Please note, acid is awlays added to water. If the water is added to acid, considerable heat is developed, and well, could go boom.

Yes a vitriol surface is the same as a french polished surface. The acid is merly used to aid in the finishing process's of a french polished surface. From memory in the rubbing out stage to help remove the oil left from the previous stages.

But lets not forget that sometimes a 'bloom' is left on the surface from the acid, so after the acid is used you usually have to use Chalk or lime. This help lifts any remainging oil & acid bloom......

Hope thats what ya wanted to know....Now my mentor can correct me of all my mistakes....hehehe