Our c1910 red brick cottage has a dodgy 1970s extension on the back that has ugly radiata pine boards with the original yellow-orange aged Estapol finish that has completely worn through to bare timber in places. We are planning to replace these timber boards in 3-5 years when we do a major reno of the back of the house but want a short term solution to make the boards more presentable. We'd like to stain or paint the boards a dark black brown (like Black Japan) and then finish with a satin water based finish (I'm pregnant and can't move out while the floors are being done).

I understand from reading other threads that the BJ is unsuitable and have had a quick look at the Feast Watson prooftint info on their website but it appears as if we would have to use a spirit based product with prooftint -- is that correct? I read another post that suggested using an acrylic paint (diluted with water if necessary) to paint the floor and then finish with poly.

Does anyone have any suggestions? We're not after a perfect finish but still need it to be durable as we have pets and an energetic 3 year old.

Any help is much appreciated.

Thanks

Read the full thread at RenovateForum.com...