G,day,

I am currently looking at demolishing the rear deck, & building a rumpus room beneath.

This will be slab & either steel/timber wall frames - a 800 x 90 block wall around the rear & western side for waterproofing (one skin wall frame to go on top).

The roof will be colourbond or similar & metal trusses with hardi plank or similar to match existing cladding.

Internal spiral staircase.

Works:

I am doing basic plans (ex structural drafttee from a decade ago) & hoepfully they will be enough to negate the cost of a paying for plans.

Pay builder to lay slab/block wall/plumbing/erect steel frame to support existing first floor. Pre-fab wall frames either metal or timber ordered & stood by builder or supplier.

Arrange for gyprocking/cladding & electrical work myself - I also have access to my brother who is a chippy but can only attend for a week or so. Plus I plan to chip in as well by demoilishing labouring etc.

1. Issues worried about water proofing at rear - my solution dwarf block wall & dish drain in cavity with waterproofing on block wall face - note it gets damp after big rains but water does not flow.

2. About a 3rd has an existing 100 mm slab - whats better cost wise chop it all out & start afresh or dowell new slab in and utilise a topping screed to get levels right (there is a fall (screed would be 0 to 100 mm) I also have only 2410 mm to play with at the high end between existing slab & bearers above to issue there obviously with min heights.

3. Demolishing deck above and just roofing over - would have liked deck to stay - however how would you waterproof other than having to put a roof above and fully seal - thought about just re-build over new colourbond roof below but that would just end a up mouldy & green below with run through/off. Plus cost is a issue.

4. Anyone know of any builders around the Central coast of NSW. Or am I better getting a building consultant, then organising subbies and knocking it up myself - The end of the day I,m only scared off knocking the supports out & doing the structural work under the first floor in case it collapses (hence builder knowhow & insurance).

Kids are tilting - I will add more when I can. Any feedback would be appreciated.

By the way looking at a budget of around 50K.

regards
Exdraftee.

Attached Thumbnails

Read the full thread at RenovateForum.com...