Hi. I posted this in 'kitchens' but because its a glass question I thought here would be more appropriate.

I am renovating my kitchen. Because I have lost the nice view from my kitchen window due to an ugly building being built next door, I am wondering if it is possible to block out the ugly view by having a sheet of 6mm translucent toughened glass made and installed over the existing window (on the inside, this will block the ugly view while still letting daylight shine through from the outside), and then mount/bolt a rangehood directly onto that sheet of toughened glass. The sheet of translucent glass will become the splashback for the hotplates which will go where the sink used to be in front of the window. There will be a space of about 4 inches (the width of the window-sill) between the existing external window and this new sheet of glass on the internal wall which will act as a lightbox, so there will be nothing solid in between, only air. The rangehood weighs about 12-15kg. Will the 6mm toughened glass alone be strong enough to hold it? I am hoping to bolt the back of the rangehood onto the glass.I had thought of putting a frame in between both sheets of glass but dont want to do that because a frame will cast a shadow onto the translucent glass spoiling the effect.
The hotplates will then go where the sink used to be in front of the window.

This is very convoluted I know. I guess what I am asking is will a sheet of 6mm toughened glass 1200mm x 1100mm be strong enough on its own to hold a 12-15kg weight bolted onto it, with say 4 fixing points/bolts?

All advice appreciated!

Read and reply to the full thread at RenovateForum.com....