Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

How do you decide what to use?

I guess I have a question that may invite some generic discussion...
    I have been researching various finishes of late (see posting history) and have sought advice from various sources. Suffice to say, I can ask 10 different people and get 13 different opinions! I am becoming well aware of the huge choice of finishes available.
    So my question is:
    Faced with this huge range of finishes, how do any of you actually decide which one to finally use?
    Is it that you just find your favourite and that's all they will ever use? So there will be people who swear by shellac vs those who swear by teak oil etc?
    Or is there actually some decision making process whereby you think "well normally I use x, but because this piece will sit in the lounge, I will instead use y"?
    Obviously usage is a main consideration (table top vs jewellery box), but apart from that, does it all come to personal preference?
    (I guess my inference is that, in the end, there really isn't that much difference) (opening can-o-worms there...)

Interesting question...

From a trade point of view. You use whats most economical for the job at hand. Or as you suggest use one product for the majority of uses reducing stock on hand. Of course some clients insist on certain types of finish's no matter how unsuitable they might be for there intended use..

From a personal point of view I use what ever I want! Mwahahahaha..

I don't have time to elaborate any more today.... Lets see what others have to say!

Cheers!

You would get more opinions on finishing than almost any other subject, except SEX of course.

It seems that every time I go to a wood show there is a new type of finish on the market.

That or there is a new improved version of an existing product. You then have to ask if the product was OK in the first place why make a the need for an improved version. Hmm!! a bit suss.

My preference is for Rustins Danish Oil. It suits what I do. The product hasn't changed in the 20 years Ive been using it and in that time I've learnt how to use it.

My advise is to find a product that suits your needs and stick with it and learn how to use it. For example I have learnt how to get 3 coats of oil on a piece and ship it the next day. More importantly I know when it gets to the other it will be OK and not sticky or soft ect.

I have at times tried other products but always come back to the Rustins. Many serious Woodturners that I know use the same product.

Having said all that I am tempted to explore using spray lacquer. I'm drawn to the speed of use and it would suit some of my production work.

Ask other people that do the same sort of work what they use. Then learn how to use it.

My 2 bobs worth.

------------------
    Some days I turns thisaway, somedays I turns thataway and other days I don't turn at all.
    Some days I turns thisaway, somedays I turns thataway and other days I don't give a stuff so I don't turn at all.

I'd have to agree with TTT & SW.
    A lot of the time its what suits you and what you can get results with.

In the last coupe of years I have realised that a lot of features I methods of many commercial products are a result of a particular manufacturer getting a method realy sorted & sticking with it.

The result is styles of furniture or archeture ect ect.

I have been learning to do things in a way that suits a method I can do well.

I would say find some methods that you like & gett them down pat. I realy dosen't matter which methods you pick as long as it's well practised.
    The other benefit is that this minimises the variety of stuff needed.

Cheers get stuck in.

Any thing with sharp teeth eats meat.
    Most powertools have sharp teeth.
    People are made of meat.
    Abrasives can be just as dangerous as a blade.....and 10 times more painfull.