Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  3
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Default Price of Blackwood per m3??

I am looking for someone to please give me a rough indication of the price of milled rough sawn Blackwood slabs per cubic metre??
    Russell (aka Mulgabill)
    "It is as it is"

This is no reference to the going rate, but I have been letting my slabs go for between 2-3k per m3. Well seasoned ready to use minimal splits and shedded, Price will depend I guess on quality & size.

Thanks Shedbound!
    I don't know, that's why I'm asking, but I would have thought that $2-3K per m3 was a little on the low side for well seasoned Blackwood. Am I right?
    Russell (aka Mulgabill)
    "It is as it is"

Maybe a little low by a re-sellers standards, but given my overheads are reasonably low. I am a one man operation working from home, given that it is more of a hobby and the enjoyment I get from it, the hobby pays for itself I'm happy with this and keeps the stock turning over
    regards
    Joel

Thanks Joel for explaining!
    I may be in the position of being offered some Blackwood slabs locally, but the guy is yet to come back to me with a price, sizes etc. and I just want to be prepared, maybe for a shock. I haven't seen the slabs yet.
    Russell (aka Mulgabill)
    "It is as it is"

here's hoping he doesn't come back with Epay prices. Some negotiating may be in order. Quantity should correspond to price.
    I would have a very carfull look at how its been cut also.

Thanks for the tips Joel! I certainly will not be paying ePay prices as it adds to the cost of my projects and makes it difficult to recoup from the sale prices.
    Russell (aka Mulgabill)
    "It is as it is"

I couldnt agree with you more, people keep telling me to value add with my timber, but in all honesty sometimes the timber is worth more than I can sell a finished article. hence devaluing the timber. I love my woodwork and will never stop(until something stops me). Now I just do commission work, or for things myself. Many will disagree, but I think the modern trends seem to be steering away from timber. And more towards gloss paints, stainless steel and glass. Unless I meet a fellow woodie most people just don't seem to appreciate a beautiful piece of timber. Yes Timber will always have its place, just doesn't seem to be in the younger generations new modern homes.
    but that's just my take on things!

Quote Originally Posted by shedbound View Post
    Unless I meet a fellow woodie most people just don't seem to appreciate a beautiful piece of timber. Yes Timber will always have its place, just doesn't seem to be in the younger generations new modern homes.
    but that's just my take on things!
    My elder stepson (early 40s) and his partner have recently bought and renovated a house originally built in the late 50s - early 60s. I have been delighted at their use of timber in both the building itself and the furniture. Ironwood decking and trim details on stairs, blackwood architraves . . . lovely stuff. So it's not all bad!

- Michael

Quote Originally Posted by Mulgabill View Post
    I am looking for someone to please give me a rough indication of the price of milled rough sawn Blackwood slabs per cubic metre??
    Maybe an indication here, BLACK WOOD | Other Home & Garden | Gumtree Australia Baw Baw Area - Darnum

Thanks Bedford!
    Russell (aka Mulgabill)
    "It is as it is"

Default Price of slabs....?

Hi there

The price of a slab, in any species, can be misleading to the untrained eye. There are so many variables that determine price, such as splits, bark inclusions, borer holes, etc., etc. Generally wider and longer are dearer. Good clean blackwood slabs wider than 1m should fetch a good price, as they are hard to get. Generally backsawn wide blackwood slabs have a tendency to cup if not thoroughly dry.

Another thing to consider.. a cheap 50mm thick slab with a 10mm twist in it from end to end will be around 30mm thick when fully machined. A dead flat slab that may appear dearer at face value will machine to about 40mm finished, so which is better value?? It takes an experienced eye to really pick what is "good value" when it comes to slabs, especially when they are dining table size. By the same token, a dearer clean slab can often be better value than a cheaper slab with holes in it, when considering the time and effort to fill, sand, refill, sand, etc a rough slab, especially if your time producing the finished product is how you make your living.

These are just some of the things I discuss with customers before they purchase slabs for their special projects, whether they are my slabs or someone else's.

Cheers

James.

Thanks James! All good info! If this guy does not come good with anything half decent, I will get up to see you. Im also after some box making pieces.
    Russell
    Russell (aka Mulgabill)
    "It is as it is"