Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Thread: Karri Mantle

Default Karri Mantle

Hi,

I've just finished making this fireplace mantle from recylced Karri boards that I picked up at the salvage yard. I'm not an experienced woodworker so Im pretty happy with it (although it proably took twice as long as it would have if I knew what I was doing).

My conundrum is this - how to get corbels to match (it is certainly beyond me to carve them myself.) The best option at this stage is probably to buy some made either of pine or cedar and stain them up - so my question is for those who have experience with staining - what are my chances of getting the colour to match and if my chances are good how should I go about it.

My other option is to laminate some karri and have some made to order this option is a bit pricey for my liking but if it is the only way I'm prepared to part with the readies.

Thanks

Hi,

Nice work on the mantle.

Have you decided what finish you will use on the mantle? I'm asking because of this thread on Staining which is very timely for you (and for a box I'm working on at present).

Anyway:
    a) I strongly suggest you look at buying the Polisher's Handbook http://www.ubeaut.com.au/ubhome.htm

1. decide what finish you will use on the Mantle
    2. get the corbels
    3. get some test boards that are the same timber as that of the corbels and mantle,
    4. test/practice your staining and finish before you go near the corbels.

Cheers
    Wendy

Thanks for the reply - I bought a copy of the handbook just the other day as it happens - found it very informative however I'm a bit scared to try anything too fancy at this stage so will just use poly - I've got plenty of experience using that stuff.

I've decided to get the corbels made from matching timber so - I thought the extra expense now might save extra heartache later.

Cheers

Hi Westcoast,

yes, probably a wise move to start with, especially as you'd probably be looking at those corbels every night

Don't be put off by how much there is to try out and learn from the Polisher's Handbook. I dip into it every now and then to check a specific point, or refresh my memory on certain steps, or just as a guide to help in deciding what finish I should try out.

It's also been extremely handy when I've needed to learn another step in finishing and the info's been right there all along .

cheers
    Wendy