A Quick-One Gents,

I bought some Ajax "Easyfixx" roofing screws today (12g x 50mm, with Type 17 self-drilling tips for timber) in order to replace some old loose Roofing Nails here and there on the Garage and Carport roofs.

Well, I thought I'd better give the things a test run first while I was still down on the ground, so I grabbed a piece of pine, put a screw into my Screwgun, and went Bang! - and split the pine. So I put another screw in and tried the same piece of pine from a different direction, and Bang! Same thing again! This is pine we're talking. Imagine what they'll do to my hardwood battens... They'll have to go back .

The only other brand that I think that I could easily lay my hands on would be Buildex at the BigB. Does anyone know if their Type 17's are okay, or if there's another brand out there that's particularly accessible and particularly hardwood-friendly. I may end up turning the roof sheets over, so I may not even have the luxury of going back into the nail holes, and I'd obviously like to avoid having to predrill for each screw if I could...

Many Thanks,
Batpig.

Read the full thread at RenovateForum.com...