Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default How Will You Survive A Crude Doomsday

Instigated by the "Did You Watch Crude" thread.

So if the oil age leads into really hot global warming how will you survive,

Build a strawbale house?

Dig a cave and live in it?

How will you keep contact with the other survivors?

etc etc
    Regards, Bob Thomas

www.wombatsawmill.com

If it doesn't happen in the next 30 or 40 years, I'm safe.
    Cliff.
    If you find a post of mine that is missing a pic that you'd like to see, let me know & I'll see if I can find a copy.

I guess we'll have to hope Darwin was wrong about the timescale of evolution
    Mick

avantguardian

Being the biggest doomer around here I suppose I better say what my plans are.

We have 11 acres about 70ks North West of Melbourne. It currently gets around 750mm of rain per year. We plan to build a self-sufficient life for ourselves and for a few friends and maybe and hopefully a few neighbours.

I'm just about to start on a straw bale house that I'll build in two stages. We chose a straw bale because of construction simplicity and it's unparalleled insulative qualities.

From next year, I'll be just doing part time work and spending the rest of the time setting up a permaculture farm. I hope with around 20 hours a week I'll be able to feed all the livestock and us from the farm. We'll have several hundred fruit trees, veggie garden and small amounts of grain crops.

In addition we'll have 50 or so chickens, 2 Jersey cows, 2 horses (bugger) and a few pigs. Oh and a couple of dogs.

I hope to generate $200 or so a week by selling eggs, chickens, fruit and veggies.

We wouldn't need 11 acres except to cope with the horses. A family of 4 could easily live off of 1/4 acre.

I think everyone should be learning to grow veggies.

Do I think anything we're doing is actually going to help? Probably not. Still it makes me feel good.

Chris
    Photo Gallery

Problem is Grunt, when the crunch comes you will have half a billion people camping on your ground expecting to be fed.

Al

yeah, where do you live?
    Mick

avantguardian

Problem is Grunt, when the crunch comes you will have half a billion people camping on your ground expecting to be fed.
    Yup, the Zombie Hordes. I've been doing a bit of practice. This is why I don't think what I'm doing will help.

Mick, I live just over the rainbow.
    Photo Gallery

Grunt, Rainfall may be a major problem for you.

The scientific projections I saw about 5 or 6 years ago predicted a 60% reduction in rainfall in south east australia over 20 years.

The rainfall we've been getting the past few years suggest to me that the particular prediction seems relatively close to the mark.

If that happens your average annual rainfall will be in the order of 450mm.
    Maybe not enough to grow enough grass for your horses & stock.
    Regards, Bob Thomas

www.wombatsawmill.com

I sincerely wish you all the best in your new venture Grunt.
    When you get it all sorted let me know how you did it, I've been trying for years to be self sufficient, but can't.
    Boring signature time again!

Global warming is a real issue. I've thought about moving to Tassie or New Zealand but have it just doesn't work from the work prospective.

It maybe the horse have to go and I'll replace the cows with goats. I'm putting a bore in which will give me a few more years of water for the trees.

I'm planting a lot of Tagasate (Tree Lucerne) which is quite drought tolerant. It is great for feeding livestock. It's 20-24% crude protein. Coppices well for firewood and it's nitrogen fixing. Also, works really well for wind and fire breaks. Just a great tree.
    Photo Gallery

When you get it all sorted let me know how you did it, I've been trying for years to be self sufficient, but can't.
    Have you ever had a look at permaculture. It just makes sense. There are two books I recommend the first is An Introduction to Permaculture by Bill Mollison and A Permaculture Home Garden by Linda Woodrow.

Also, have a look at what this bloke did just near the Dead Sea in Jordan. It's a short flash movie. http://www.blog.thesietch.org/wp-con...rmaculture.swf
    Photo Gallery

Quote Originally Posted by Grunt View Post
    Have you ever had a look at permaculture. It just makes sense. There are two books I recommend the first is An Introduction to Permaculture by Bill Mollison and A Permaculture Home Garden by Linda Woodrow.

Also, have a look at what this bloke did just near the Dead Sea in Jordan. It's a short flash movie. http://www.blog.thesietch.org/wp-con...rmaculture.swf
    The Dead Sea project is very impressive
    Regards, Bob Thomas

www.wombatsawmill.com

Quote Originally Posted by ozwinner View Post

Al
    This is what worries me too.... imagine what Oz would be like if we lost power for 2 weeks.

Neighbours like these 2 would be an asset.
    Cliff.
    If you find a post of mine that is missing a pic that you'd like to see, let me know & I'll see if I can find a copy.

Quote Originally Posted by Cliff Rogers View Post
    This is what worries me too.... imagine what Oz would be like if we lost power for 2 weeks.

Neighbours like these 2 would be an asset.
    Now that I look harder Cliff I can see your family connection
    Regards, Bob Thomas

www.wombatsawmill.com

Quote Originally Posted by echnidna View Post
    Now that I look harder Cliff I can see your family connection
    All the better to hear you with my dear.
    Cliff.