Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Default Just as well we have global warming........

City has coldest May in 40 years

Imagine how cold we would have been otherwise!

Cool Nrb

Could not agree more

I've been enjoying the recent temperatures, but I get a little fed up when it rains as there's no roof on my workshop.
    I know you believe you understand what you think I wrote, but I'm not sure you realize that what you just read is not what I meant.

Regards, Woodwould.

Point data will always disagree with trend data. For some examinations of what the trends are leading to see http://www.daff.gov.au/__data/assets...e-droughts.pdf

One of the findings of the last decade in climate research is that the extremes in weather will become more extreme. ie, longer more severe droughts, wet spells, etc. The notion that the global temperature will increase by a standard increment (eg 0.5C) every couple of years has been abandoned long ago.
    "We must never become callous. When we experience the conflicts ever more deeply we are living in truth. The quiet conscience is an invention of the devil." - Albert Schweizer

My blog. http://theupanddownblog.blogspot.com

Yes Sebastiaan, I am aware of what's what in statistics, I have sat in the odd lecture and have used it throughout my working life.

I repeat, just as well we have global warming, because once again I froze my *rse off the last 2 mornings, would hate to think what it would have been like without it.

Well, Sydney today (and yesterday) has been bizarrely warm. I came to work in the city carrying a coat - too hot to wear it on the train - and looking out my office window I can see plenty of people in t-shirts.

We've had the most spectacular display of frost the last 2 mornings, absolutely beautiful landscapes, but cold!

Minimum temps of -3 to -5.

It's even affecting the tropics. I heard someone from Cairns complain it was so cold they had to turn the fans off.

Weather is not climate.

Surface temperature alone is not climate.

Extreme weather events in isolation are not climate.

Why isn't anyone else concerned about coal seam gas ?
    I'm just a startled bunny in the headlights of life. L.J. Young.
    We live in a free country. We have freedom of choice. You can choose to agree with me, or you can choose to be wrong.
    Wait! No one told you your government was a sitcom?

Lies, damn lies and statistics
    Hugh

Enough is enough, more than enough is too much.

Strange how the same bunch of halfwit scientists that said, we are heading for another ice age in the seventies, are the same ones involved in global warming!!!!! Funny how much money plays a big part in this.

I can't speak for Big Shed or some of the other replies, but my reply was intended for those few who seem to have retained some sort of a sense of humour...

Quote Originally Posted by Foo View Post
    Strange how the same bunch of halfwit scientists that said, we are heading for another ice age in the seventies, are the same ones involved in global warming!!!!! Funny how much money plays a big part in this.
    Sorry foo, but that's a bit of a myth - see Did scientists predict an impending ice age in the 1970s?

In short, one bloke predicted it, his mates jumped on the bandwagon, everyone else said it was crap and they eventually retracted their claims.

Meanwhile the rest of the world, who tend not to read scientific journals much though it was a great story and it's been trotted out ever since. Even better when they can crow 'lolz, the dummys gots it wrong again!!! lol'

Yeah, no-one thought the Earth was flat either, and that still gets repeated.

The most dire predictions are a couple of degree in a century or two, you're not going to notice that day to day, or at all really.

What will notice it is the oceans, when all of that water heats up you get changes in current flows and evaporation. Y'know how La Nina & El Nino cause the drought patterns in Australia by switching back & forth? More heat dumped into the oceans will change that, and not for the better.

Long term tip - don't buy property in Perth.

Why isn't anyone else concerned about coal seam gas ?
    Probably needs a separate thread Damo, Having just got a friend out of hospital after a massive asthma attack triggered by natural gas there is more to be worried about than the seismic activity. Ive signed every petition I could get my hands on. But the govt needs the royalties to waste on something or other.
    "We must never become callous. When we experience the conflicts ever more deeply we are living in truth. The quiet conscience is an invention of the devil." - Albert Schweizer

My blog. http://theupanddownblog.blogspot.com